Build up my GMC (pics) or get an X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build up my GMC (pics) or get an X?

anatomiczero

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
I'm 17 and trying to decide if I want to put money into my GMC Jimmy 4x4 (350 v8, th350 tranny, np205 t-case). It has typical rust, I stopped most of it. The roof over the cab is thin and flexes when I push down on it, there's holes in the body that need to be welded, needs new front fenders. It could also use seals, shocks, lift, engine work, carpet, etc etc. oh, and it gets about 10 mpg.
jimmy.JPG

So I've been looking at newer SUV's, the 95+ blazers have cheap interiors and i've read about the push button t-case not engaging. Does the X have this problem too? I don't like the look of Cherokees' or the interior. I've been raised Chevy, so I've kinda stayed away from Fords, but the X looks pretty nice.

What I'm looking for is a daily driver that is comfortable inside, has power for freeway passes, hauling stuff, or whooping on civics. Ofcourse good off-road, but not anything too extreme. So should I spend money on my Jimmy, or get an X? and are X's reliable for long trips (1600 mi or so)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a '96+ V8 AWD. Sounds like exaclty what you need. The power, the minor offroadability, the civic-eating. They're bigger inside than the S10 Blazers and are definatley more comfortable.

I rode in the back of a 4 door one with 4 people, 4 snowboards, and all our gear. I had to hold the boards from hitting my head the whole way home. They have absolutly no room in the back of those things.

Does a v8 cost much more on insurance than the v6 and does it get about the same mpg? Is the AWD more prone to problems than a 4WD and is it much better in rain?

I don't think a V8 is much more for insurance. It probably wouldn't be much more than your K5. MPG's depend on how you drive. Average is probably around 16. Some V6 Xers get 10 some get 28. I think AWD are less prone to problems because of less engaging and disengaging. I've never heard of a tcase going out or anything. And they handle much better in the rain. It would judt be like driving around in 4HI all the time.

Originally posted by anatomiczero
Does a v8 cost much more on insurance than the v6 and does it get about the same mpg? Is the AWD more prone to problems than a 4WD and is it much better in rain?

The AWD will get a hair less MPG than a "normal" 4WD. I have heard the AWD is great in the rain. And what your insurance company doesn't know, won't hurt them.

Robb

AWD insurance is cheaper than 4X4 insurance... youll save a couple hundred there, i love my ex, youd love one too, if youve got the money

A V8 is pretty reliable. You can't kill the 5.0 that is in the AWD Explorers, it sounds like your best choice. Also, by getting a newer vehicle you don't have to deal with all that rust etc......

I agree that a V8 X would be a good choice for you. Power, capability, and reliability. Though you could build that GMC into a beast!

If I were you, I'd build the GMC. You already have it and it'll take less to build it than it will to buy and Explorer and make it what you want. Not to mention that the 350 is probably the cheapest & most reliable anyone could ever build. Go look through some hotrod magazines. The "As low as" price is always for a small block chevy. Not to mention it has a solid front axles as opposed to 95 and up Explorer's IFS. Just figured I'd give my .02

its all about what you really want. You can find a 350 engine for less than a g now. For being only 17 you don't need a car payment. It basically boils down to how much $$$ you have.

I love my Explorer and have had it for almost 3 years already. The only thing I regret is not getting the v8. it is kinda fun though whooping up on the stock v8 guys and them telling them you only have a v6 :eek:

I was sitting at school and started typing stuff up, this is what I came up with:

Item Description Price
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.11 Gears Upgrade from 3.08's ($600 est.)
2.5" Lift Front springs/Rear blocks $300-$400
Shocks Front/Rear shocks $250-$300
33x12.5" Tires Upgrade/Replace 32x11.5" $400-$500
15x10" Rims Alloy finish rims $500-$600
Steering Seals/Bushings ($400 est.)
Brakes Brake job/fluid flush ($350 est.)

383 Stroker Upgrade 350 to 383 stroker $2,000-$3,000
Tranny oil cooler Protect tranny from overheating $75

Door Seals Replace old seals $40-$80
Carpet Gray carpet $250-$300
Dash Cover Cover cracked dash $60-$75
Door Panels Replace red panels $200-$250
Seat Covers Cover warn seats $40-$50
Gauge Bezel Replace fugly bezel ($100 est.)
Center console Nice console/Tuff $100-$200

Tint Protect interior $250-$350
Front fenders Replaced rusted fenders $200-$300
Paint job Black or dark blue $1,500-$2,500
Alarm Protection $250-$300
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL: Roughly $9,500 :=0

Full coverage Insurance- not avaible for the year, special coverage might be needed.

Will have roughly 425 hp, get 8-10 mpg, run rough in higher climate from the carberatur, take longer to warm up than fuel injection. Tranny might need to be rebuilt tougher and custom driveshafts to handle the power. $1,500 or so to do that. Could go with a 4" lift and 35" tires but handling will suffer more on road and it would cost more for the 4" lift. Would also need a steering box brace to keep the frame from cracking. Roughly $13,000-$15,000 (including the cost of the truck) for a relaible 4x4 pushing over 400 hp. There would be a chance of rust left inside the body panels and the roof over the cab is thin. There will also be a lot of down time getting all this done. Or I could just get an X for 6-8, add some bolt ons and be happy with it.

most everything you've listed is excess. The 350 will make all the power you need. A 383 is nice, but if you don't have the money why do it? The driveshafts will handle whatever power you make, short of dropping a blown big block in it. You don't need 15x10's. A lift kit for it will be cheaper than it is for an X. And body parts for the Jimmy are dirt cheap. You do what you want but it sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself of a decision you've already made.

Take a look at this. It should help you make up your mind:
graphic_pub.jpg

That is Stadx2's Limited V8 true 4WD Ex.

Yeah, now tell him how much it cost to build.

Let me say this final thing. You're 17, about to graduate high school. If you're smart you're already looking into college, and even if you're not, you go and buy and explorer that means $3-400 dollars a month for the next 3-5 years. Let me tell a car payment gets old real quick. Once my X is paid off, I'm not buying another vehicle unless the frame falls out from under this one. $3-400 may not sound like much but that's $75-100 a week to do whatever you want with. And it's a lot more fun having money to play with than a car.

Well.. he could:
Get a '96 AWD for around $8k
4" Suspension 3" Body lift $1800
True 4WD conv. $1400
Wheels/Tires $1200

$12,500 you'd have a sweet ride.

Thats less than the $13,000 - $15,000 for his other option.

Hey, I think that the V8 Explorer/Mountaineer is a good option, but I was looking at the upgrade specs for your trucks and had a couple of questions.

Does the engine need a rebuild? If you have good heads, and the rest of the block is good, forget the 383 and try either the Edelbrock or Holly EFI systems. You may come out less or about the same dollarwise. While, you won't have 425 HP, you will get better fuel economy, more torque, a little more HP, and better drivability. I'm not sure if a 383 will be reliable enough for that much travelling.

How rough is the terrain that you will off-road? If the tires and lift are for looks and the terrain isn't too bad, save the money because it might not be necessary.

For reliability, some say that the 350 is the most reliable engine. In my opinion, it has it's pluses and minuses vs. the 302, but I prefer the 302 myself. However, I will give GM the upper hand when it come to rust protection since I haven't seen one that doesn't leak oil. If you ever wonder why there is always a grease spot under all GM products, now you know that they have built-in rust exterior rust protection.

I just looked at Durango's, they're cheaper than I thought, saw a couple for 11 grand. Still expensive, but not too bad. I won't be making big payments because I'll put between 3-5 grand down, then have 4 or so grand left for payments. I'm not going to a 4 year college, I'm going to community or technical college and I might work at Fed Ex which pays 3,000 a year for college which will cover it. I'm guessing insurance will be the same because i'll want full coverage on eother one of them and i'll save close to 1/2 on gas.

I'm not looking for an extreme off-roader right now, so I won't need a body lift, 4wd conversion or anything like that. Just a suspension lift and some bigger tires 31-33" will work.

I'm not real sure about how good the 350 in it is, and for a 5,000 pd truck by itself it could use some more power for going up hills etc. A fuel injection conversion (tbi cheapest i think) will be over a grand because I can't do it myself (which is why I like bolt ons for newer SUV's). A lift is for 2 reasons, the front leafs are old and saggy in the front so I want those replaced, might as well lift it at the same time and I want to beable to fit bigger tires under there for when I go off-roading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say keep the GMC. It's a quality vehicle.

jjue hit the nail on the head. Convert it to EFI!

With less than 1000 bucks you can make it into an awesome wheeler.

Do not even consider a durango!!!!!

Back