• Register Today It's free!

bullet proof differential?

Javadog123

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo ,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS AWD
My 05 with a limited slip 3.73 has tons of slop at 27,000 miles. Instead of an OEM from Ford that is probably just as junk, does anyone have any suggestions on parts or other ideas on how to replace or rebuild it so that it last like a real differential should? Latter models any better? direct swaps? Appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't torn it apart yet, but I believe it's the ring and pinion. If I shift from drive to reverse, I can watch the driveshaft turn 1/4 to 1/2 rotation before it catches. Otherwise, it is quiet and smooth on the road.

I've never looked at my explorer in particular but all of my other vehicles have done that same exact thing. And I believe my explorer does too. Never looked but I feel it. And I'm at 120,000

I haven't torn it apart yet, but I believe it's the ring and pinion. If I shift from drive to reverse, I can watch the driveshaft turn 1/4 to 1/2 rotation before it catches. Otherwise, it is quiet and smooth on the road.

sounds like a bad u joint to me.. crawl under and try moving the driveshaft up/down and try turning it, watch the u joint while doing this. you'll be able to see if its shot.

Pretty sure it's not the u-joint. I can see the yoke from the differential rotate back and forth. Also forgot to mention that sometimes when backing up and turning the rear end will "clunk" and you can feel a jerk. Something is not as it should be.

My 98 was doing the same thing... when put into drive the driveshaft would turn about 1/4 turn. I replaced the u-joint at the rear differential and at the transfer case. No more problems. Pop the differential cover off, see whats going on in there.

Back