Considering a creative future for my 2nd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering a creative future for my 2nd gen

tcruarceri

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt awd 5.0
Me and a girlfriend brought this truck 3 years ago (Explorer), and it has usually served us well for the 30k plus it has seen but she wants to pull it from the road. I would swap it to my name but I already have two cars I swap between and they are also kind of rolling projects, a 95 gt and a 70 baja bug.

Part of me wants to strip it down to a firewall, toss the bug on it and gain awd (with the intent to 4wd convert it), disk brakes and heat(oh god, do I wish it the Baja had heat) and lose any emission requirements that make keeping an older obd2 truck in ny legal difficult...

Some reserves I have...
I’m in the north east and these manifolds will eventually rust out... if I end up putting a hotter 5.0 I have in this and go carbed And no “p” heads are there still no solutions? How about fenderwell exit headers?
If I keep the efi can the silly key security thing, check engine light for cats etc be turned off with an sct tuner? Can they adjust for tire size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a very cool proect, surprised no one has replied to this yet. Seems like the bug would be a hard fit to the explorer chasis, not to mention fitting that 5.0 anywhere in the bug would be challenging. That is what you are suggesting right?

Yeah, basically. Idea being cut down the explorer to just a floor pan and firewall, narrow up where possible to close to beetle width. Could utilize a boxed steel body lift contoured on one side to the floor pan to bolt it right through (bug pan based design uses something like 8 bolts around the perimiter to attach body to pan). The bug has a one piece fiberglass front end, so it would be fairly easy to push it further forward and extend the body cowl out to make room. Probably going to end up selling the explorer and putting the money into the bug but this is still tickling at the back of my mind.

The space where the steering shaft runs, the AC box, and the fuel/brake lines inside the frame are the main items stopping other headers from fitting.

If you altered the firewall to move the steering shaft etc, then you might fit other headers that are easy to get. The frame in these was just made too narrow and the UCA mounts protrude inboard a bit much. For a major body change, you could likely solve those problems.

The PCM programming can be altered. The pre-98 is the best PCM and wiring harness for non-Explorer swaps, due to the PATS, and ABS requirement(Explorer ABS module has to be used for 98-01 computers).

That would be a very cool proect, surprised no one has replied to this yet.

i am not a regular contributor and its a batshit idea that involves cutting up what this site is built around. I didn't take the silence to personally.

It's a ton of work, expect it to take triple the time planned, or more. Project space will be scarce and everything you could imagine being a problem, plan for more. I've done a couple of projects I shouldn't have, and slower now, I still want to do more. Think hard about it, and good luck.

The space where the steering shaft runs, the AC box, and the fuel/brake lines inside the frame are the main items stopping other headers from fitting.

If you altered the firewall to move the steering shaft etc, then you might fit other headers that are easy to get. The frame in these was just made too narrow and the UCA mounts protrude inboard a bit much. For a major body change, you could likely solve those problems.

The PCM programming can be altered. The pre-98 is the best PCM and wiring harness for non-Explorer swaps, due to the PATS, and ABS requirement(Explorer ABS module has to be used for 98-01 computers).

Yeah, id be stuck with my 00-01 harness, otherwise id use one of my new TFI/fox style 5.0 harnesses and EECIV computers i have plus a tranny controller or just go carbed. I had an SCT i lent out i might be able to reclaim for the tuning with the current computer.

I was thinking i would be best off using the explorer firewall/steering shaft location to prevent any biding issues, so i am pretty much stuck with the lack of header selection from what you say. Not that the factory manifolds arent enough, more that finding replacements when they crack will become more and more difficult.

It's a ton of work, expect it to take triple the time planned, or more. Project space will be scarce and everything you could imagine being a problem, plan for more. I've done a couple of projects I shouldn't have, and slower now, I still want to do more. Think hard about it, and good luck.

Yeah its too much for me alone. I put it out there to someone i know who is good to see if he would be interested in helping. I will probably end up going the more traditional route building the baja, but it is an uphill battle getting what i want out of it. If i had just a little more space i would keep the 5.0 Ex as a salt beater.

I think going the carb route would take a lot of the challenges out. I think if you know how to do some serious fab work you could mash the two together. I don't think the explorers suspension would be my first choice for a baja bug, but you can always drop some major money or hours with a welder and change that. Seams it would be easier to just keep the bugs chassis and do suspension upgrades and swap in a motor out of a jetta or even a 4bt Cummins would be pretty cool. If you could manage to fit the explorers drivetrain in the bug chassis and went carbuerated with some headers the exit upward through the hood, and just run open headers to make space that would be awesome. I love the idea of frankenstiening these two together.

Id think the wheelbase on an explorer and the distance fender to fender on the bug body would not line up visually speaking without significant modification to both. The project sounds cool in theory but your getting into a serious amount of work.

Back