Cracked window plastic

DavidsAwesome

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Picture: http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/davidsawesome/IMAG0434.jpg

Sorry about the dirt. I live in the desert.
Not sure how well you can see from the picture. I just got this Explorer, and when I was filling up the gas tank for the first time.... I had a few minutes to kill since the gas tank is huge, so I decided to walk around the car. Noticed this... :(

I read someone else saying it's a common issue and it's expensive to fix.... Anyone have any input? Its cracked around the other side of the emblem too. What can I expect? What's that piece even called?

05 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A pain in the ass.

If that photo you posted is of the crappy plastic strip along the bottom of the rear liftgate glass, then I believe Ford calls it the "Applique Strip."

Mine was cracked within a couple months of buying my '02 XLT and the dealer replaced it under warranty after I B1tch3d about it.

I think this is the replacement part (although I'm not positive - suggest you confirm this before ordering anything)...

http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214290&chapter=&sectionids=0,4486&groupid=2581&subgroupid=3533&make=10&model=Explorer&year=2002&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=2

Some say it cracks based on how/if you slam the glass lid shut. Others say their cracking was temperature related. Most I've seen have cracked all the way through the plastic and are really noticeable. You could probably let yours go a while before it looks bad...

It cracks due to the adhesive not allowing the panel to move/expand from temperature changes.

If you replace it, use foam strip vs. a hard adhesive. Some have had luck with 3M DP-100 Plus multipart epoxy, as it allows expansion movement.

Welcome to the Crack club!

Thanks guys. Im just glad that it appears that the plastic piece is replaceable by itself. I was afraid I'd have to replace some $800 part or something :)

"Welcome to the crack club" lol

The Crack!

Thanks guys. Im just glad that it appears that the plastic piece is replaceable by itself. I was afraid I'd have to replace some $800 part or something :)

"Welcome to the crack club" lol

I'd guess about 1 out of every 5 3rd. gens. I pull up behind have the crack. Mine, 2004, did not a year ago when I got it, cracked over winter in Laughlin, NV (gets real hot there!). Bought it in MO.

It IS an expensive part. The crack varies a little in width with temperature extremes. Right now, it is about 1/16-inch wide, pretty straight and uniform, to one side of the blue oval. I plane to fill the crack with paintable silicone rubber, carefully paint the stuff to match body, glue back broken ends of the pinstripes.

I'll let you know how this comes out. I suspect something like Bondo would not "give" enough, and would separate at the crack lines. imp

Crack Repair Pic

Here's how the crack looked filled with silicone rubber, done today by opening a fresh, small tube by making a tiny hole in the end of the nozzle, so as little as possible got on the painted edges of the crack, which were then carefully wiped clean.

Wally only had white paintable silicone, would've preferred clear, so had to settle with this. Most silicone rubber cannot be painted.

I'll show it again after painting.

exp_cr10.jpg

Ya' know, if you could pin stripe with white paint on the other side of the oval, you could tell everyone it's factory.

Ya' know, if you could pin stripe with white paint on the other side of the oval, you could tell everyone it's factory.

Okay, Okay! I guess I could! Still really wanted clear. Come to think of it, I HAVE seen 'em with 2 cracks, one on either side of the oval......imp

I'm really interested to see the final look when you're finished.

My crack has really closed.....wait, let me reword that....the crack on my back window has really closed up, presumably due to the peek-into-hell heat we've been having. Can't hardly see it anymore.

Keep us posted Imp.

Back