• Register Today It's free!

Ditch the Exploder?

grimz97

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky/Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0
So i have my '03 XLT 4.0 with 223k miles on it. I've beat the crap out of the thing, especially lately.

Some things that are wrong with it;
IACV (idle air control valve) is broken, the truck flux's on occasion when idling.
Differential carrier bearing, I hear a very very distinct hum when accelerating from 800 to 2500 RPM until the exhaust gets too loud to hear the noise.
ruptured or disconnected washer fluid lines, all the wiper fluid drains when i fill it and the rear fluid hasn't worked in years.
i've got the stereotypical 4.0 timing chain bs going on. throughout research on this forum there are two things that i need to do, either keep the oil pressure up and get an aftermarket oil filter or pull out the whole engine and replace the chains.
The Exploder also has odds and ends broken components like a spotty driver side door sensor, a few blown speakers, my passenger rear tire sheared the bolts when i was on the highway which ripped off the rear panel and fender on that side.

My real question is, is this worth keeping? I've looked at a lot of 1995 F-150's that i could trade for this or even a friends 1993 Mustang but it is pretty f'ed up to say the least. i love the '03 but i just can't help but worry its about to take a dive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on what you've said, I wouldn't give you $500 for your car. Sounds like nothing could come off it and it may need a new engine within the next year.

Personally, I like to keep my cars as long as possible. What makes or breaks it for me is the body condition.

You have a lot of issues with that car. I would scrap it.

The body is in great condition for the most part, and the truck still runs really well at the moment i just am dreading the moment when it decides to stop being so nice

I bet there's someone on CL that would give you $1,000 for it in running condition. Half when it decides to grenade.

Back