• Register Today It's free!

EGR Test Procedure

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Is there a testing procedure for the EGR valve on the OHV? No CEL, but thinking after 19 years it's worth checking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a testing procedure for the EGR valve on the OHV? No CEL, but thinking after 19 years it's worth checking.
If you are not getting any codes, it's most probably OK. But if you must, hook vacuum to it (if you don't have a vacuum pump, you can tee off some vacuum line in the engine - I don't recommend sucking on anything that it's contact with gasoline, but some do). A properly working EGR valve will fully open and kill the engine at idle.

If you are not getting any codes, it's most probably OK. But if you must, hook vacuum to it (if you don't have a vacuum pump, you can tee off some vacuum line in the engine - I don't recommend sucking on anything that it's contact with gasoline, but some do). A properly working EGR valve will fully open and kill the engine at idle.

In addition to needing to hold a vacuum, the EGR valve and its passages can become clogged with soot/carbon and you need to clean them out.

Yes, I wanted to check for obstructions so I'll probably have to remove it after the test either way.

Check your fuel trims, sometimes they leak thru the pintle. You have to put propane under the valve and see if the trims go down. If there is no CEL I would otherwise leave it alone.

Back