First time poster and ford owner ..coolant leak at only high rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time poster and ford owner ..coolant leak at only high rpm

Hornbeam

Reaction score
City, State
Albany ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xtl
Hello all i am a first time ford owner. Had to get something safer for the family and this was beat up outside but sposta be ok mechanically. Plus the price was in my very small budget. So lets begin 2002 explorer high miles i bought it today ... fellas crazy ex kicked and stabbed it repeatedly .windows stuck lights broken ect.little stuff really. I show up look it over seems ok take for test drive some front end issues but seems ok so i buy it cash deal as is driving it home seems fine the person im following goes through a intersection i have to wait so i get on it to catch up so im not lost .does well .a second later check gauges look down its about over heat .i stop right there check reservoir not much .....damn . Ok ride with the person to gas station get antifreeze fill her up cool right down no leaks drive towards home . 1 hour highway driveing some city no problem coolant level stay where it should no over heat no leak . Now for the hill i live at the top of a large hill maybe call it a mountain about three miles up hill .drive up the hill speed limit is 55 thats what i do get home gauge is fine walk infront of it smell coolant big time stop look under soaked re start coolant pouring out up high where i cant see it from below and low enough where i cant see it from above . No evidence of white smoke no evidence of coolant in oil or oil in coolant ........ Is this the head . Did my buy go flop real fast and put us back in my deathtrap of a 95 jeep orvis.......awwww man im in trouble now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things to check-
1. Water pump area
2. Thermostat housing
3. Coolant lines all over, especially the supply return lines going in to the firewall.

(Had a issue with loosing coolant after getting up to temp). Turned out to be supply line in to fire wall, not seated properly and clamp was not tight.

Seems ok at temp was on the highway for a hour no leak put my foot into.it to climb the hill pours out

Like drivers and side pass side pass side

Hopefully the daylight will shed more light .. it seems to be below tstat housing could be around water pump

I would go take a look at the water pump. I had a similar issue with my 2001 when the water pump was failing.

Hello all so i tracked the problem to the thermostat housing. Changed that all good .unfortunately i did break a bolt off ...not in the head but in the steal sleeve that is molded into the houseing . So i was able to rotate the entire housing and remove the broken bolt from the block . Running on two now no luck finding that bolt yet but also no leak .also found the.broken ground in the door boot and now have working windows wooo hooo . Now i need to figure out why the moonroof only vents and wont slid and the door ajar problem and the front end problems...the list is shrinking. Thank you ..

There is a part number for those bolts. I was going to get them when I did my housing but didn't. I'll try to find it. Also, I have a full thermostat housing with new thermostat if anyone needs them. Not sure if housing is cracked anywhere or it was just the top gasket. The thermostat I had just put in 3 months prior to changing.

There is a part number for those bolts. I was going to get them when I did my housing but didn't. I'll try to find it. Also, I have a full thermostat housing with new thermostat if anyone needs them. Not sure if housing is cracked anywhere or it was just the top gasket. The thermostat I had just put in 3 months prior to changing.
Go to www.ford parts catalog. Com . Put in thermostat housing bolts. Everything is in there.

Back