Ford to Cancel Excursion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford to Cancel Excursion

An independent rear suspension is better in just about every way. It has more suspension compliance, and handles better. The Hummer has IRS, as does the MB ML series and Range Rover. IRS is just better. That old live axle is history. It's a dinosaur that is dying out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What they mean Doc is that it is very difficult to modify the new IRS opposed to the live axle. Therefore, the live axle model is better for offroading. The Range Rover and Hummer have beefier setups that are already tuned for offroad use, the Explorer and Expedition's are not. The ML series is for strictly onroad use.

Oh, OK. That's true. The old setup is much easier to modify, but the idependent setup is a much better performer. If you do manage to mod the IRS, then you will be much better off. And it's not really harder, it's just more expensive...

Add more features and gadgets!!

What Ford could do to improve the Excursion is adding the Control-Trac as an option. All of the 4x4s out there are not using the manual hubs much anymore!

They could put stuff in like the 4-corner air suspension and other luxury items to compete with the Suburbans. Why build a low-content SUV to go head-to-head with other high-content competitors and jack up the price? That doesn't work!!

Those taillamps, they are right off the Econoline! Make them bigger, okay? :rolleyes:

How about the conversions (Coachworks?) like the Econline? They better market for those who are camping or something you know. Throw a kitchen and a bathroom while you are at it! :D

Shane

Originally posted by Stephen
Like I said, they just built it to be big, nothing else.

As long as I can say, "Mine's bigger than yours," I'll be happy. :D

Like Ive said before... I miss our Excursion... sure it was big and sucked gas, but I dunno... It was a safe feeling truck that we only used for hauling people around in... It was the typical grocery getter/airport shuttle/soccer mom mobile, but ya know, it did what we bought it to do...
--bryan

Back