• Register Today It's free!

Gas gauge

Rkferg13

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4door
hey guys im new to the forum and fords in general. always been a chevy guy but got a nice explorer for a great price. but after i towed a small trailer the gauge always reads past full. i've looked all over the site found a few things but nothing concrete, noone has replied saying that it worked. please help guys i dont have the message center with fuel used info. im looking forward to the help

hey guys im new to the forum and fords in general. always been a chevy guy but got a nice explorer for a great price. but after i towed a small trailer the gauge always reads past full. i've looked all over the site found a few things but nothing concrete, noone has replied saying that it worked. please help guys i dont have the message center with fuel used info. im looking forward to the help

the sender for the fuel gauge is in the fuel tank. it's part of the fuel pump assembly. it could be the wiring, or the sender itself is bad. try grounding the fuel tank with a jumper cable to see if that does anything. the wires run down the driver's side inner frame rail. there are 2 electrical connectors along the way.

Back