gigantic custom sunroof? like no-roof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gigantic custom sunroof? like no-roof?

coolchris

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
hey guys im probably just getting worked up on a little fling here but i think it would be really cool to cut out a lot of my roof (or all of it) to make just a huge sunroof and then have a vinal or canvas cover that zipped or somehow was weather tightly fastened to teh roof that i could remove.... like a big california top or something.

i realize that i would need a roll cage or something to maintain the structural integrity of the vehicle, and i would fully intend to do that.

has anyone thought of doing this? how much would something like this cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, it sounds like a pretty cool thing, but I don't think it would look like you think it would. I had thought about doing something like that, if I was gonna put a cage in my EX, but as of now, I'm gonna hold off on the cage. Already spent way more than I wanted to on my EX, and am working on putting the turbo in it, which will be a bit more.

As far as cost, I can't imagine it costing that much, if you did it yourself. If you got someone else to do it, it would probably cost a bit.

the only down fall i can think of is the lack of roof rack availability and i dont like the look of explorers without at least the stock roof rack so it might look a little funny in that respect.

They have an early model that seems to have a roof like your thinking of doing. i think i remember seeing it in the for sale forum.....

yea ive seen that one... he has the whole back hatch area cut out too... i really liked that one, but i think id like to keep my hatch area enclosed. i didnt like the shape of the soft cover over the roll cage in the back of that one.

what about a targa type top idea like mine?

jimbena74's truck is the one i was talking about, hows that going by the way, any pictures yet?

just out of curiousity, how much would it cost to get a sunroof installed?

ya hartman! always comming through with the good ideas! that sliding ragtop would be perfect... im going to start looking into them. thanks man.. your awesome

Originally posted by coolchriscush
ya hartman! always comming through with the good ideas! that sliding ragtop would be perfect... im going to start looking into them. thanks man.. your awesome

Hey no problem, I have never seen a ragtop on an Explorer, so it would be interesting. This tops are mostly seen on street trucks, so it would be cool to see one on an offroad rig. Good luck.

Dammit, putting another mod idea in my head! Thinking about it, a ragtop would be perfect for me. I'd get one of the small ones since I have the roof basket, but it would be great. The question is: could I do it right and make it waterproof? Y'all know how much weather we get down here.

just be aware that explorers have roofs with crossmembers in them and the new convertible top will weaken the structure of the roof and will need to be reinforced

if i did this id prolly do a roll cage at the same time.

well, being in socal, there are tons of fab shops down there.... the cage will be good.... but the roof at least needs those areas reinforced or the roof is going to buckle if it rains or gets exposed to wind

Originally posted by jimabena74
the roof at least needs those areas reinforced or the roof is going to buckle if it rains or gets exposed to wind

what do you mean? the canvas part?

no... there are side channels of the roof... and also a crossmember in the center that need to have a strong frame built into the ragtops rails or the roof will not be strong enough to supposrt itself..... ever notice how a jeep with a softtop on the freeway looks like a ballon?

ohh i see waht your saying... that would be something to consider if i ever did it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the biggest issue with these ragtops is making them water tight. If a good installer installs this top, it will not leak. StreetBeatCustoms supplies all the neccessary supports if I'm not mistaken.

Back