Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

headliner rattling

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories' started by my94pony, August 1, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. my94pony

my94pony New Member

City, State:
      LI, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Sport
      any tiny bump in the road my car makes a rattling noise and im pretty sure its coming from the headliner (when i hold the headliner up it quiets the sound a bunch)
      has anyone else had and fixed this problem? i talked to a couple friends who have had explorers and they said they had the noise but never found it

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimster502

jimster502 Active Member

City, State:
      socal
      1997 Ford Explorer
      Have you tried removing the headliner and checking for anything loose? Might be that your overhead light is loose. Does your ex have a sunroof?

4. my94pony

my94pony New Member

City, State:
      LI, NY
      98 Sport
      It does have a sunroof and it's definitely coming from where the sunroof sits in the headliner whenopen

5. jaydez

jaydez Active Member

City, State:
      Hartford County, CT
      2005 XLT V6 4x4
      My 05 had this problem. It ended up being a cross-brace that the sunroof mounted too. The problem was it was assembled as metal-to-metal contact and the screw came loose just enough to let it rattle. Pus some foam rubber in there that I had laying around and screwed it back down (with loc-tight) and it hasnt ratled since.

Though, I agree with everyone else, you do need to drop the headliner to find the specific location. easiest way is to drop it then have someone drive over a rough road while you crawl around in back looking for the source.

6. my94pony

my94pony New Member

City, State:
      LI, NY
      98 Sport
      thanks alot jaydez im going to try and see if thats my issue this weekend, it definitely sounds like it is

7. my94pony

my94pony New Member

City, State:
      LI, NY
      98 Sport
      So I took the headliner and sunroof out, put dynamat everywhere metal touched metal, and tightened up the bolts that hold the bracket for the overhead handles, they were pretty loose
      So I don't know which thing I did that actually fixed it but no more noises!!