• Register Today It's free!

mlkelly

Reaction score
City, State
La Crescenta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None, yet!
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike, and I found your forum while doing research for a used Explorer.

I previously had a 2002 Eddie Bauer, but was broadsided by a teenage driver on her phone, so the insurance company totaled me out. Bummer, I was intending on keeping it for a long, long time.

I bought a Honda "minivan" because I have two young children and no wife, but after two years am bored to tears. Don't get me wrong it's a marvelous vehicle, it just doesn't bring out the fun in me like my Explorer did.

So Now I'm thinking of finding a '96 XLT, or EB with 4WD. What research I've done says that's an overall pretty good year for the Explorer.

If anyone has negative experience with that year, or thinks another year maybe good for me to look at, I would appreciate the input.

Anyway, it's good to join such a fine group, and I look forward to seeing you in the forums.

-M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey BrooklynBay,

I'm a long time lover of the deserts here in CA, so off-roading is my desire.

I also want to get my children introduced to places like Joshua Tree, and Death Valley, and take them off the beaten track.

How about yourself? Are you an off-roader, or...?

-M

I'm not into off roading, but some of the streets here feel like you are driving off road. I had considerable damage on two of my vehicles from these streets. A customer of mine once hit a bad pot hole that totaled his car. His two front air bags deployed, and his front suspension, and axles broke (GM front wheel drive vehicle). He towed it back to his house, and a scrap dealer towed it away a few days later.

That's one nasty pothole! Not that ours here in Ca. are any better, though I think we call them sinkholes.

Are you a dealer?

It would help to know what the maximum amount is you plan to spend. I wouldn't limit your choices to a 1996 model as there are many great deals to be found for the 1995-2001 model years. Also, don't forget to look at Mountaineers as they are just re-badged Explorers.

With the above being said, I highly recommend getting one with a 5.0L V-8 as these engines are darn near bullet proof. They can run well over 200k miles if basic maintenance has been done. The transmissions are more of a crap shoot.

I have seen some great deals on the 2nd gens in my area. A decent one with around 100k miles can go for under $2,500. You should be able to find one in decent shape at this price point, or a little above. Also, I suggest getting a Carfax done on the one you have decided to purchase before laying down the cash. It might show some things that will sway your decision like wrecks, repairs, number of owners etc.

Welcome to the forum! Get the 5.0L V8 with AWD and swap out the T-Case. Don't get a V6 the SOHC sucks.

I'm hoping to get a "well maintained", low mileage, for it's age, for around 3 - 3.5k. I'm gonna want to put wheels and tires on it so I'm trying to figure that into my available funds.

My 2002 had the V8, and I loved everything about it, except the gas mileage. With AWD I was getting 11-12 mpg, uhg! So I was leaning toward the V6, but you don't feel it's capable of 200-250k miles (with proper service)?

It's essential for me that I can shift, or push button my way out of 4WD. Only on rare occasions would I need it on the streets, and the better gas mileage... well!

I know what you mean about the transmission as a crap shoot. I had bought my ex a '02 Limited, and she just recently had to replace the trans.

Carfax is a must, and maintenance records are worth more.

Thanks for everyone's welcome and input, I suppose I'm now looking for a V8.

I'm hoping to get a "well maintained", low mileage, for it's age, for around 3 - 3.5k. I'm gonna want to put wheels and tires on it so I'm trying to figure that into my available funds.

My 2002 had the V8, and I loved everything about it, except the gas mileage. With AWD I was getting 11-12 mpg, uhg! So I was leaning toward the V6, but you don't feel it's capable of 200-250k miles (with proper service)?

It's essential for me that I can shift, or push button my way out of 4WD. Only on rare occasions would I need it on the streets, and the better gas mileage... well!

I know what you mean about the transmission as a crap shoot. I had bought my ex a '02 Limited, and she just recently had to replace the trans.

Carfax is a must, and maintenance records are worth more.

Thanks for everyone's welcome and input, I suppose I'm now looking for a V8.

I also have a 1998 Explorer with the 4.0L OHV Engine. If you want a V6, get the OHV. The SOHC has problems with the timing cassettes (if you haven't heard).

The 4.0 OHV is very underpowered (155-165hp rating) but with the right differential gearing it can feel much more powerful. I would suggest you make sure you get a 3.73 (axle code 46) or 4.10 (axle code 42) gearing, especially if you want to lift your Explorer. Mine has the 3.73 and feels like it has the SOHC engine.

My 4.0 OHV has had very few issues. The worst with my Ex was a blown head gasket and the transmission had to be rebuilt. Other than that its all been suspension issues which is what I get for buying a Wyoming rental...

My 98 (3.73 diff) generally gets 19mpg avg with a mix of hwy and city
My 05 (3.55 diff) with the sohc gets 17mpg avg with a mix of hwy and city. It does 15-16mpg with just city driving, and 20-25 with highway.

EDIT: My 4.0 OHV has 180K miles and I think it can go well into the 300 thousand miles. I have seen a lot of those 4.0 OHVs with very high mileage.

I also have a 1998 Explorer with the 4.0L OHV Engine. If you want a V6, get the OHV. The SOHC has problems with the timing cassettes (if you haven't heard).

The 4.0 OHV is very underpowered (155-165hp rating) but with the right differential gearing it can feel much more powerful. I would suggest you make sure you get a 3.73 (axle code 46) or 4.10 (axle code 42) gearing, especially if you want to lift your Explorer. Mine has the 3.73 and feels like it has the SOHC engine.

My 4.0 OHV has had very few issues. The worst with my Ex was a blown head gasket and the transmission had to be rebuilt. Other than that its all been suspension issues which is what I get for buying a Wyoming rental...

My 98 (3.73 diff) generally gets 19mpg avg with a mix of hwy and city
My 05 (3.55 diff) with the sohc gets 17mpg avg with a mix of hwy and city. It does 15-16mpg with just city driving, and 20-25 with highway.

EDIT: My 4.0 OHV has 180K miles and I think it can go well into the 300 thousand miles. I have seen a lot of those 4.0 OHVs with very high mileage.

Wow!! Thanks Nate, that's great information, and inline with what I was hoping for. I'll look into the 4.0 OHV as well as the V8.

Maybe this question is better in a different forum, but I'll ask it here, and please direct me if it's more appropriate somewhere else.

The transmission problems seem to be the weakest link for Ford, when you swap out the tranny do you just put in another Ford product, or are there secondary market replacements that are more reliable?

Wow!! Thanks Nate, that's great information, and inline with what I was hoping for. I'll look into the 4.0 OHV as well as the V8.

Maybe this question is better in a different forum, but I'll ask it here, and please direct me if it's more appropriate somewhere else.

The transmission problems seem to be the weakest link for Ford, when you swap out the tranny do you just put in another Ford product, or are there secondary market replacements that are more reliable?

I usually just go with a ford replacement. Usually, Ford is able to rebuild and replace the transmissions with stronger parts. Like the 5R55S isn't a bad transmission but the servo bores are the weak point. Ford has discovered this and fixed it on their re-builds which makes for a stronger product. So I would just keep to a ford transmission unless you plan on giving the transmission a beating.

Just make sure you check the axle codes in the door jam. Looking earlier you are going to off-road and you would be best with the diffs I posted above. If you plan on throwing in a locker, make sure to get the open and not LS.

I usually just go with a ford replacement. Usually, Ford is able to rebuild and replace the transmissions with stronger parts. Like the 5R55S isn't a bad transmission but the servo bores are the weak point. Ford has discovered this and fixed it on their re-builds which makes for a stronger product. So I would just keep to a ford transmission unless you plan on giving the transmission a beating.

Just make sure you check the axle codes in the door jam. Looking earlier you are going to off-road and you would be best with the diffs I posted above. If you plan on throwing in a locker, make sure to get the open and not LS.

It's encouraging to know that Ford is able to spot the weak points, and build them up in their re-builds (I wish they would send that info to the engineering department for their new cars).

I'm not going to enter the "Baja challenge" so I'm not planning on doing any extreme trashing, other than the normal off-road hills and valleys.

I'm sure a heavier duty transmission has heavier costs, but is the added engineering worth considering for the long haul? I really intend on keeping this ruck for a long time. That said, there's an evil twin on my left shoulder wondering if, at some later point, switching out the engine and trans for something like the Duratec 35 would add to my desire for longevity?

Thanks for all of the helpful information nate.

Back