HELP! catalayic converters???

thewishkah

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
Hey guys I know Im not on here much anymore since I do not have an Explorer but I need help for one of my friends. He has a 2004 explorer v6 that had a slipping transmission, he didnt listen to me when he asked what he should do. He brought it to Ford under extended warranty and they contracted the work to aamco and would only cover $1700 of the cost of $2000 to (fix) the broken parts, not even a complete rebuild. Anyway when he got the truck back it still didnt feel right.

He again not following my advice brought it back to Aamco and they told him that its his Cats and they were the cause of his transmission going bad in the first place but didnt realize it when it was there getting the work done. Now they are telling him $1400 because they have to replace all 3 cats, to me this sounds really shady so I am going to take the X out for a ride and see what I think. Im not an expert but I know the signs of a bad cat. I just would like to know what do you guys think about this and the fact that they told him the cats caused the trans to slip.

Besides glowing red, rattle, and the rotten egg smell what other signs can I look for in a bad cat? Oh also there is no CEL but I might see if there are any codes being thrown anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated here guys.Thanks for helping out a former X owner and friend.

Umm.....I've NEVER heard of a cat causing a trans to...anything. Maybe over heat if it was pushed against the trans or something.......I could be wrong though.....personally I would have laughed at them till I passed out or got kicked out.

I have a 2002, it had an extended warranty (now too many miles). We took it in for a squeaky tensioner pully on the belt. When they test drove it, they determined the tranny was slipping. Under our warranty, Ford replaced the transmission with one that was "overnight shipped" from their parts depot.

I think legally if Ford contracted with aamco, Ford is still ultimately responsible for the repairs.

As for the cat converter causing a trans problem let's just say some one is trying to convince your friend that they didn't screw up when they repaired the transmission.

Back