Here we go again (pic) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here we go again (pic)

I'd sat that photochooped pic ic is a little too chopped. If Cory's going from 122" to 108", it'll be the same as a Sport wheelbase. That pic scales out to 90". Either length, it'll be way cool!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! CoryL I really admire the things you have done. You're one of the few people on this board that is really amazing. I wish I could fabricate the way you do but that is a long way and a lot of work away. It is a real honor to have someone like you come to this site. Unfortunately it seems like most people on here now like to think of their explorers as "sporty trucks" rather than 4x4s. I know that a stock Explorer isn't a Wrangler, but I still have fun on the relatively easy terrain. I don't mean to cause arguments, but I personally feel that if I would have invested the same amount of time and money in a more off-road suited vehicle such as a CJ, YJ, or TJ, I would have wound up with a far more capable (off-road) vehicle. Can anyone really argue with that?

Maybe I should clarify before people get pissed. I really like my Explorer, with 79K miles on it, its been very good to me (knock on wood). I am merely talking about four wheeling.

CAC91, I used to have the same mind set. Yes Jeeps are a great starting platform and right out of the box they are very capable, the main reason is they have live axles up front. However with a little bit of work the early Explorer's can FAR surpass that of what a Jeep is capable of.

You come to one of the trail rides, and look at some of the big dawgs in action and you will be laughing at 80% of the Jeeps out there that have been "built". Usually the Jeepers have their jaws dropped when they see a group of grocery getting 4 door Explorer's sitting on 35's make the stuff they couldnt even get through look easy......

Thats why I am here and thats why we love our Explorer's so much. Itis a Jeep thing and they can keep it that way, I totally understand.

C`mon guys,
I keep running here to see if Cory has posted about HIS truck. At this rate the project will be buried in off-topic stuff!

:D
my 2 cents?

To satisfy ld50...

I got the cage out last night.... Was a little more difficult than I thought.

Got the main part of the "new" cage done tonight. A-pillar and B-pillar hoops are done and the outtermost spreaders are taken care of.

Should finish the cage tomorrow and get the seats remounted.

I've got to order new suspension link ends and some more tubing so I can remake all the rear suspension links. Link ends and tubing will be ordered tomorrow.

Ordered the new Hummer centers so I can change the backspacing on the beadlock Hummer wheels I have. Stock they are 7.5" of backspacing. I'll be going to 3.5."

Once I get those links parts in I can move the rear suspension forward, hack the frame off, box what's left, and then tube it out.

Add a pair of line locks before each rear caliper and I can have cutting brakes for tighter turns.

I'll have more pics to come as things get finished.

Plans to build another? I'd really like to build a tube buggy and put Explorer skins on it. So if anyone wants to drop some cash....I'll build em one!

A lot of people have asked why I didn't just build a buggy this time. Reason being; it is cheaper to keep stripping this down.

If anyone has any questions about what I am doing and why, please ask.

cory you are my hero... nuff said

I got some questions. I would like a buggy but I am in college, hardly can pay rent and food now that I just done some stuff and I have no where to wheel. Any how I have plans for the future and I am certainly interested in this. CoryL you have D60s right? Are you leaving the roof on for some protection? (like from a angry bird) and i Know you are more of a rock guy but since there isnt much left especially after reading this. your engine will be pretty exposed. Do you plan on closing that in some how? I thought that maybe witha tuber or something like yours that doesnt have much of anything left that something like a boat hull would work well up front to kinda protect the engine from water and rocks? I dont know much about this stuff but I wanna know
and if I am ever down in KY with some $$ and the X I might have to look you up
Gary

Yes I am running 60s.

Roof is staying for some protectiong from rain and stuff...

The engine has been exposed for a while now. No problems. Good for heat dissipation.

If any of you are nearby and want to hang out or need a place to rest for a while, get a hold of me.

Man Cory, you aren't ever happy are you!! This should be a cake job compared to the first time you had it in the garage! I'm assuming you haven't found a shop yet? It's a good thing Nikki doesn't want to use the garage for anything!

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by JoshC
Man Cory, you aren't ever happy are you!! This should be a cake job compared to the first time you had it in the garage! I'm assuming you haven't found a shop yet? It's a good thing Nikki doesn't want to use the garage for anything!

Happy trails!!

Not really. I always like tinkering and changing stuff and building new stuff.

I should have this whole job done in 2 weeks. And one of those weeks is waiting on parts!!!

Today's progress...

morechop.jpg

newcage3.jpg

Seats and harnesses should be mounted tomorrow!!!

Got the new Hummer rim centers. All four bolted together through 4 of the lug holes with a UPS sticker on it = 72lbs shipping weight!!! 3/8" thick!!! Going to work on seeing what a machine shop will charge to make those. I could get them made with any bolt pattern, so if anyone wants some for their Ranger/BII/Explorer, let me know!!!

Also ordered the new suspension link ends and tubing for the rear. Should be in sometime next week. Then the rear suspension can come forward!!!

WOO HOO!!! This will be QUICK! :alx:

I'm thinking ......................FLATBED PICKUP!

JK.................good luck Cory!

Robb

I've talked with Cory quite a few times and he is very fond of flat beds, that's all he talks about, so i'm anxious to see this one! Those pictures don't do his truck any justice, it looks tiny in the garage until you get next to it!

Happy trails!!

Doubtful that it will be a flat bed...

Ordered the tubing and link ends, should be in this week!!!!

Then it is a matter of ordering tabs and moving some things around!!!

I can't wait!!!

Well the rear suspension is dropped and the old suspension links are gone.

One bent heim joint (at the threads) and one bend upper suspension link (the tubing) was the damage to the actual links themselves.

Here is what I am replacing the old heims with...

heimvs.jpg

Old heims on left. New 1.25" heim on right. I have four of these and they will be used on the axle side I believe.

REjoint.jpg

Here are the greasable joints that Rubicon Express sells. You can take them apart and service if needed. If they go loose you can also tighten them up. Gonna go frame side with these I think.

Hey Cory, love the new project and I am thinking on doing something similar with the back of mine. I have a question though... How sturdy is the front cab portion with the rest of the body cut away? I am thinking I would like to tube the X but I really want to have a semi-sealed from compartment just in case I wheel in the winter. At -30 it might be nice to have some windows and a heater.

Chad

Hey cory, where you at on the project, this thread kinda died off, I like seeing your work and updates

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, give us some pics!!!

Back