• Register Today It's free!

HUGE

Billabong02

Reaction score
City, State
Seaford, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I went to my local junkyard today to see what they had back there that i might be able to use. They had only one explorer which wasn't to messed up and i noticed it had a autodimming mirror still on the windsheild. I spent 30 mins working on getting it out and it only cost me $15 and its in perfect condition. I got it back to my car and held it up to my old basic one and it seems huge. It looks like it would be right up in my face the whole time i was driving. I know alot of you have these, are they that bad when they are up there, or is it something that i just have to get use too? Its seems like it would be a hazard because you would have a big blind spot. I just wanted some imput from people before i install it and then regret it. oh yeah are these after market ones smaller? It also has the autolamp too. Where is the contoller for it maybe i can get it out tomorrow. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll get used to it. To me, all the regular mirrors now seem small and "plain". But when I first got my X I was suprised because I could touch the dash and mirror at the same time with the same hand. But enough bragging.. I say stick it in. You'll love it.

You might not have noticed, but there are two joints at which you can make adjustments. Once on the window you should have no problem moving the mirror to a comfortable position for you. It might take some time to loosen up the joint as it was in the junk yard, but you can do it. After replacing my front windshield the mirror didn't fit just right, so I needed to make the adjustments because I knew it fit before.

yeah like section525 says you will get use to it and you`ll never want anything else after that. but be careful it`s another ballgame to drive with this !

To gain more visibility under the electrochromatic rear view mirror, rotate it so that it is upside down. You will gain 3/4" of visibility.

That mirror isn't that much bigger, actually, it restricted the view just a tad bit compared to the regular mirror but like what thecos2002 said, there're two pivot points. What I did was I pushed the mirror up (pivoted the back, the one at the base) to the point where I can't see the end of the overhead console and it's great, no blind spots.

Back