Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HUGE

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Billabong02, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Billabong02

Billabong02 Active Member

City, State:
      Seaford, DE
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      I went to my local junkyard today to see what they had back there that i might be able to use. They had only one explorer which wasn't to messed up and i noticed it had a autodimming mirror still on the windsheild. I spent 30 mins working on getting it out and it only cost me $15 and its in perfect condition. I got it back to my car and held it up to my old basic one and it seems huge. It looks like it would be right up in my face the whole time i was driving. I know alot of you have these, are they that bad when they are up there, or is it something that i just have to get use too? Its seems like it would be a hazard because you would have a big blind spot. I just wanted some imput from people before i install it and then regret it. oh yeah are these after market ones smaller? It also has the autolamp too. Where is the contoller for it maybe i can get it out tomorrow. thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      You'll get used to it. To me, all the regular mirrors now seem small and "plain". But when I first got my X I was suprised because I could touch the dash and mirror at the same time with the same hand. But enough bragging.. I say stick it in. You'll love it.

4. thecos2002

thecos2002 New Member

City, State:
      Hayward, California (East Bay)
      1996 XLT
      You might not have noticed, but there are two joints at which you can make adjustments. Once on the window you should have no problem moving the mirror to a comfortable position for you. It might take some time to loosen up the joint as it was in the junk yard, but you can do it. After replacing my front windshield the mirror didn't fit just right, so I needed to make the adjustments because I knew it fit before.

5. daniel cauchon

daniel cauchon Active Member

City, State:
      Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
      1995 Explorer Limited
      yeah like section525 says you will get use to it and you`ll never want anything else after that. but be careful it`s another ballgame to drive with this !

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      To gain more visibility under the electrochromatic rear view mirror, rotate it so that it is upside down. You will gain 3/4" of visibility.

7. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      That mirror isn't that much bigger, actually, it restricted the view just a tad bit compared to the regular mirror but like what thecos2002 said, there're two pivot points. What I did was I pushed the mirror up (pivoted the back, the one at the base) to the point where I can't see the end of the overhead console and it's great, no blind spots.