I NEED HELP FAST

LOGJOCKY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leduc, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
I need to repack my bearings and i want to know how hard this is to do. My mechanic is on drugs or something and he said he needed a tool he could not find so i will try it myself. I dosent sound that hard. What I want to know is if I need a 4 prong spanner wrench on auto hubs. I know I need the hex lockout wrench though.2-3/8 if Im correct. Is it also possible that I may have a manual hub locknut on auto hubs?I hope not. Please help me I need to do this very soon....Its starting to sound bad.

Remove the hub, remove the plastic auto locking assembly, you will see a notch, Inside this notch is a key. Take a strong magnet and remove the key, once this is done, I used a large pair of channel locks to remove the nut...
Pretty simple stuff...
The manual nut is different, and requires more torque, so you do need a "Special" socket to remove it.
Good Luck.

I cant believe i never though of that. Its a good idea thank you.

better check those bearings real good...

If it is to the point that they're starting to sound bad, there's a good chance you have at least one bad bearing. If you see any blueing from heat or any pits or scratches on the bearing rollers, swap in a new set.

Back