Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I NEED HELP FAST

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by LOGJOCKY, October 27, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. LOGJOCKY

LOGJOCKY Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leduc, Alberta
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 EXPLORER XLT
    I need to repack my bearings and i want to know how hard this is to do. My mechanic is on drugs or something and he said he needed a tool he could not find so i will try it myself. I dosent sound that hard. What I want to know is if I need a 4 prong spanner wrench on auto hubs. I know I need the hex lockout wrench though.2-3/8 if Im correct. Is it also possible that I may have a manual hub locknut on auto hubs?I hope not. Please help me I need to do this very soon....Its starting to sound bad.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mdrut

mdrut Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inverness, Fl.
    '91 sport
    Remove the hub, remove the plastic auto locking assembly, you will see a notch, Inside this notch is a key. Take a strong magnet and remove the key, once this is done, I used a large pair of channel locks to remove the nut...
    Pretty simple stuff...
    The manual nut is different, and requires more torque, so you do need a "Special" socket to remove it.
    Good Luck.

4. LOGJOCKY

LOGJOCKY Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leduc, Alberta
    1994 EXPLORER XLT
    I cant believe i never though of that. Its a good idea thank you.

5. wabbit

wabbit Active Member

City, State:
    Western Colorado
    the white one...
    better check those bearings real good...

If it is to the point that they're starting to sound bad, there's a good chance you have at least one bad bearing. If you see any blueing from heat or any pits or scratches on the bearing rollers, swap in a new set.