Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build

im far enough in this to not turn back, so ill start this thread now.

starting with a truck that hasent been driven in 2 years before i got it. so its really dirty, ticks, needs some help.
im going for a mild top end rebuild. just a nice cleaning and new parts, upgraded performance parts. with a nice coat of paint to finish it up.
update: turned into full rebuild

parts list:
  • 2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
  • 2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)
  • SP432 MOTORCRAFT - spark plugs (autozone)
  • WR4062 MOTORCRAFT - plug wire set (rockauto)
  • KS2358 FELPRO - full gasket set (autozone)
  • PR422 DNJ/ROCK ENGINE - pistion ring set (rockauto)
  • m328 MELLING - high flow oil pump (summitracing)
  • 432217 VISTA-PRO - ready rad radiator (summitracing)
  • E71531 DAYCO - upper radiator hose (autozone)
  • B71532 DAYCO - lower radiator hose (autozone)
  • 200-87684 DAYCO - heater-to-thermostat hose (autozone)
  • 200-87715 DAYCO - heater-to-water pump hose (autozone)
  • 58390 A-1 CARDONE - reman waterpump, they sent a 97tm (rockauto)
  • 300-942 DORMAN - water pump pulley (rockauto)
  • 300-004 DORMAN - power steering pulley (autozone)
  • 49237 GOODYEAR - belt tensioner (rockauto)
  • 5968 HAYDEN AUTOMOTIVE - idler pulley (rockauto)
  • 49-410-8 COMP CAMS - camshaft (summitracing)
  • R1092 SEALED POWER - rocker arms (rockauto)
  • VS1630 SEALED POWER - valve springs (rockauto)
  • sev-2027 SI VALVES - exhaust valves (sivalves.com)
  • sev-2028 SI VALVES - intake valves (sivalves.com)
  • UP94172S ULTRAPOWER - timing chain kit (rockauto)
  • 25053 CRANKSHAFT SUPPLY - reman crankshaft with bearings (rockauto)
  • 70mm 94/95 Mustang GT Cobra 19/24lb MAF (ebay)
  • ebay link - 90tm/93tm cylinder heads
  • ebay link - matched set of injectors
  • EF link - modded stock throttle body
  • GM3115200 chevrolet HHR electric fan from EF member
  • FAN-PWN-V3 SPAL fan controller from EF member
  • 1633S-1 JBA - headers and y-pipe used from EF member

later upgrades: 200amp alternator, underdrive/overdrive pulleys. maybe other stuff as i get ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It happens man,remember when i said if you dont run into some kind of problems you would be way lucky!!i wouldnt pull the heads!!! Thats alot of work and money!!your just have to order the rods and het new gaskets and take a day or two off and ill bring my tools over and we'll do a side a day,it'll probably take a day per side and hope for the best.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

cool, I'm in the kempsville area.

wow, what a small world. I still haven't decided if i'm going to summer school at odu yet but if not, I'll go on the trip for sure.

School!!we dont need no stinkn education! !;) just let me know.and xeek let me know when and what you wanna do too,im still on 6 day weeks so Monday is my only day off and im gettn very busy with tryn to get my truck ready!!;)

Haha if only I could quit on my 4th year. I'll let you know about the trip pretty soon. Take it easy on your day off.

crap another one thats semi far away lol. prob why i havent seen you(unless yours is stock looking)

i dont have air. yours is portable to bring over then? all i can do is mondays then. i cant really take more days off, im saving them plus ive taken a lot already. ill ask my mom for 100 to get pushrods now, cause otherwise i cant buy them til the 15th, meaning i wouldnt even have them until the 25th. id have them by tuesday/wednesday(next week) if i got them now.

got to ****y about it going well, not really any problems, just a lean and idle issue. but nooooooo my ****iness backfired on me

Yea i can bring it over.just need some where to plug it in.may have to run a cord from your washer or something,really needs a 20 amp plug.we can do a sunday night and monday.just you pull the cover off and get it all ready so bytime i get off work its ready to go.wile im doing one side you can be getting the other side apart and ready and do it monday.your probably need new valve cover gaskets now too;(

Next sunday and all day monday,think we would need it.the dryer should be that but the washer should be a 20 ,looks like a regular plugs but has an extra dash in it

ill check the washer. sucks cause the 30a plug for the dryer isnt being used. make me have to unplug the washer :/ lol

are you sure the pushrods will be fine? id hate to tell them 'no i never used them' then i find out they got worn

I would just say you put them in and was to short then pulled them out.if they are your just not be able to send them back.

ordered the 5.550" got usps shipping 2-3 days shipping. so possibly by friday he said. yay

i have a spare intake gasket. cause one came with the valve covers gaskets.
you think id need new valve cover gaskets? you were saying like you werent sure..

I wouldnt pull the intake,just the valve covers.yea i would get new valve cover gaskets, old ones probably will leak if reused!

bad news im not off monday:mad: ill prob have next wed 4/20:smoke:eek:r maybe even monday 4/25 off:mad:they seem to like working me 12 days straight tho:mad: sunday night looks like it should be nice and ill let you know about if im off for 4/20:smoke:.i dont go into work till 4 every day so if you still wanted to take off monday we might be able to get it to the point that you could button it back up by yourself.sunday night and monday morning

damnit jd!! this is the reason i wait until almost the last minute to tell them the day i want off! i told her at 4.30 i wanted off! and dun dun dun.... 1hr later you say no! :fire: poo on you!

yes you should come over in the morning then. if for some reason we dont torque the rockers back down for some reason leave your torque bar with me and ill do it

i feel you on the 12 days ****. when i worked for foodlion (i was their multi-department *****), i worked 10hr shifts, for 22 days in a row! all at $7/hr!
thats what happens when every department wants to borrow you for a day/weeks.
i got a 25cent raise shortly after when minimum wage went to $7.25 lol
im glad i finally said no and quit. hours were fine, but the pay, no.

if its not raining we can work sat night to.it shouldn't be that hard just need to be careful!!if you get those valve covers off before i get there and spark plugs out,i would say about 3 hours per side.i would like to see it run before i leave.o and ralleys is in order for monday lunch!!!!

is that all that needs to be done? unbolt covers and remove plugs? want me to remove the rocker assemblies? pushrods *should* be here friday. if they come monday we may be screwed. cause usps doesnt deliver to my work until noonish, id have to take out an hour just to pick them up.

ralleys sounds good. tonight was a no go btw. she got sick yesterday. so it looks like next week or maybe saturday for that

Back