• Register Today It's free!

Just an FYI about a recall....

JoKKer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
This was in my local paper this morning.

Monday, Aug. 11, 2003
Ford recalls 1.7 million SUVs to fix seat frames, speed control

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is recalling 1.7 million Ford Explorers, Explorer Sports, Explorer SportTracs and Mercury Mountaineers to correct defects in the seat frame and speed control system.

The problem with the driver's seat frame affects 1998-2001 Explorers and Mountaineers and 2001-02 Explorer Sports and SportTracs. A bolt could fracture, causing the seat to recline fully and possibly causing the driver to lose contact with the steering wheel or foot pedals.

Ford also will replace a speed control cable on 499,988 of those affected models equipped with 4.0-liter V-6 engines and optional speed control. The cable may wear out prematurely, causing difficulty in disengaging speed control.

Ford said no accidents or injuries have been reported.

All Content © Crain Communications, Inc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this has been posted 3 other times

Hasanyone taken theirtruckin for the recall? Gotten a letter from Ford?

no letter here.. i will be calling ford on my next break to see what they say

I saw a report on this recall on the local evening news (San Antonio, TX).

I checked Ford's web site (My Ford) for recalls and the reply said there were no recalls for my vehicle (99 XLT).

The same reply from my local dealer's web site (Southway Ford). :(

I too checked the My Ford site about the recall and there were no recalls listed for my truck.

Anyone else hear anything? What site were you guys checking your vehicles under? www.ford.com? Thanks

XLT

Originally posted by aldive
Hasanyone taken theirtruckin for the recall? Gotten a letter from Ford?
Yes, I have gotten a letter from Ford, and my local Dealer, has set up an appointment for me next week. I asked about the speed control deal, and my vehicle was not included in that, since it was built in Canada.

I guess the US built Exlporers, need the speed control cable replaced.

Back