Lost "P"ark new tranny (A4LD) HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost "P"ark new tranny (A4LD) HELP!!!

88PONY

Reaction score
City, State
Nutley NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Hey all! I'm not a happy camper! I bought a rebuilt A4LD and new converter for my 92 Explorer. I installed it last weekend not, a big job. It shifts great, nice and smooth, so today I gave it an oil change and just checked for any leaks and everything was fine. I go to leave my garage and pull out put into Park and it jumps forward like I put it in Drive. So I took it for a ride and it seems fine, still shifts perfect. So I did the usual check the linkage and fluid and everything is fine, but now Park is Neutral. I don't get it? Is there something I can do in the pan to check? I really don't wanna remove this trans again.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what you are saying in that in park, it still rolls, but the transmission is in neutral (which is where it would be in park). That sounds like it may be the parking pawl incorrectly installed. You can get to that without dropping the trannie, but you have to pull the transfer case and the extension housing to get to it.

Before you do that drop the trans pan and check the linkage inside the pan to the manual valve... (pics of this are in the thread (My A4LD Rebuild Diary in the Useful Threads forum) I just reread your post and the "jumps forward like it was in drive...." that caused me to wonder...the manual valve also engages the parking pawl.... so the manual valve is high on my suspects list.

Thanks for the reply and I did searches and found your posts. It only did the jumping into drive thing the when I last posted. I just took it on a long ride and beat on it a little it shifts perfict, but PARK still is missing. So if I pull the T-case is the park pawl there or behind the extension housing? Do I have to drain the fluid? I still have the old tranny so I guess if I need any parts I can use them?

Thanks again ;)

the parking pawl is installed on the transmission rear end and held in place by the extension housing.

DO pull the pan and check everything there first... FAR easier. Eliminate the easy first. I'm still highly suspect of the connection to the manual valve.

Where is the manual valve located? How can I check it?

Remove the pan. Check out where the linkage comes in, and you should see a connector to a rod that will slide forwards and backwards as you shift. That is the manual valve. There a lot of pics of it in the threads I pointed you to.

Ok, Thanks i'm gonna head down to the garage now and take a look at it. I'll keep you posted! :thumbsup:

one other thing that could be wrong if the transfer case were engaged and one of the hubs were not engaged it too could cause a problem.

Bingo! I fixed it! The linkage in the pan was perfict, so I took the extention housing off my old trans just to see how the park pawl works. Then I pulled my truck apart to find out the park pawl snapped in half. I put the one in from my old trans, and everything seems fine!!!

Thanks guys for all the help! :thumbsup:

Back