More Engine Noise... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Engine Noise...

Exactly, thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford encountered a delay. Car will now be ready Wednesday...

Finally got the truck back today. All is good...so far...

Hope she treats you good from here on out.

Timing chain noise is back

Finally had time to drop truck off at Ford. I'll update as soon as they take a look at the truck.

Hope they get it fixed for you this time

Luckily ford warranties the timing chains for 2 years unlimited miles. I hope it doesn't need a new engine. Ford diagnosed it as timing chains. Also, I don't want to take this to court. We'll see what they say.

So Ford called me back and they said nothing is wrong with the truck and that they didn't hear the noise. I told them I would be there first thing tomorrow morning and point it out personally.

Interesting. Just when cold? Let us know what you find out.

What oil are you using and do you park outside over night?

Garage vs outside is usually a 30 degree difference in temperature (when it's cold out.)
If you park outside and the dealer didn't, maybe it's an issue with cold start lubrication.

I don't have a garage so I always park outside where it's about 30 degrees every morning. I use 5W30 synthetic for better flow in the winter. I am going to the dealership now.

Just went to the dealer and started the car for them. They heard the noise.

No call tonight from them. As I was walking out they think the tensioner might not be getting enough oil? Not sure what that means.

Just got in touch with someone. They said it is the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner. I highly doubt those things make the same noise as a timing chain rattle.

They do when the tensioner is about to explode.

This is an easy fix for yourself though and will immediately prove/disprove their theory.

Thanks for the response. They are going to do the repair. For my troubles, they discount the parts and labor. They are doing it today.

Got the truck back again. I'll have to let the truck sit over night to see if the noise is back.

I paid with a check so if it makes the noise I'll stop payment.

Truck going back to Ford AGAIN for the same noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, sorry for all the drama. Hope they get it sorted this time.

Back