2004 Ford Explorer squealing noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer squealing noise

Enorm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
My 2004 Explorer still has a distinct squealing noise that is louder when the engine is cold. once the engine is warm it is still there but not as loud. I have already replaced the harmonic balancer, belt, idle pulley, and tensioner and noise is still there. Removed the belt and started the engine, the noise is still there. It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like the area in front near the harmonic balancer. What can I check on this new balancer? Any ideas on what else to look at they may be source of the noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to say "water pump" but you removed the drive belt.

Are you sure it isn't a vacuum leak from a crack hose? Sometime a small leak can actually sound like a squeal.

I was going to say "water pump" but you removed the drive belt.

Are you sure it isn't a vacuum leak from a crack hose? Sometime a small leak can actually sound like a squeal.
Looked underneath the Ex while running, appears to be coming from near the oil pan/transmission area. Still not certain what to look at now?

Torque converter?

We've had the cold squeal on our 02 since about 07, but it stops after warm up, never found that cause either. Wish you luck.

Back