Motor oil question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motor oil question

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
Hey guys just wondering if I can run 15w40 in my motor I live in Florida so it does get hot here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why run 15-40? Do you have an oil consumption issue? I would say run 5W-30, as suggested. These engines have issues as it is with oil starvation.

We have run 10w-30 and 5w-30 full synthetic (Mobile 1 and Mag1) oil mostly on Wix filters since we have owned our '92 explorer...

At 355k miles I rebuilt the motor due to a cracked heat (and I figured it should have it)... It really didn't need a rebuild. I only have another 50k or so miles on the motor since the rebuild...

We are in Arizona and it sees temps ranging from low 20f to 115F.

I know it's not the same motor but our sohc in our 2006 Mustang runs 5w-30 and is now over 300k miles...

What I'm saying is I don't think you need the thicker oil due to the temps....

~Mark

As said, no need for the thicker oils. If you want a more robust oil, go for a full synthetic or grab some Rotella T5 10w-30, it's an HDEO that will stand up to shearing under heat more. I prefer to use it in small air cooled engines since they can run hotter. Really though, you'd be fine with a premium synthetic oil. I wouldn't run it on 10k oil change intervals, maybe 5k so it doesn't have a lot of shearing going on.

Remember though, a properly working cooling system will make sure your engine runs at the same temp that mine does in the dead of a north Idaho winter.

The reason I ask is I was given 2gallons free

I was in that position a while back with that same weight. I used it for top-ups and mixed 50/50 with 5w-30 in small engines. Toss a half or full quart in with an oil change, it won't be the end of the world. But I personally wouldn't use only that in your Explorer.

The answer to your question is, yes, you can run it in your engine with no problems.

In that case, Like 2stroke says.. Yes, you can use it.... you just didn't need to switch to it due to the temps in Florida.

~Mark

Well it was given to me free

Back