New supercharger kit for 4.0L | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New supercharger kit for 4.0L

Bump

There are quite a few of these on Ebay currently, both for the OHV and a few prototypes for the SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which part are you talking about? The SC or the adapter kit?

There are some on eBay that are complete kit+rebuilt sc combos.

Wow those adapters are expensive. A week or 2 ago someone was selling a Paxton bracket for an X that went for under $80.

Well if anybody is interested. I asked them a question in reguards to expected gains. The question and response is below.

What type of power gains could I expect? I have a Comp Cams 410 cam, 70mm MAF, 66mm throttle body, BBK headers, and cat back exhaust. I already have the supercharger, I just need your kit and of course 1000 dollars. Thanks

TO GET REAL TECHNICAL WE WILL DO A FEW EQUATIONS:

STOCK ENGINE VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY IS ABOUT 80%. HEADERS, CAM UPGRADE, ETC SHOULD ADD 5%-7% TO THAT. SO THE V.E. IS NOW 85% FOR THE EQUATION. ADD THE 5-7% TO THE ENGINES BASE HP.
BOOST PRESSURE IS A PERCENTAGE OF 14.7 PSI (ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE AT SEA LEVEL), SO 7.4 PSI BOOST IS 50% MORE AIRFLOW. THE PRESSURE RATIO IS 14.7 + 7.4 / 14.7= 1.5 PR. THE P.R. X ORIGINAL HP (WITH THE ADDITIONAL GAINS FROM HEADERS, ETC) = BOOSTED HP. AS AN EXAMPLE:
165HP STOCK + 7% = 176.5HP x 1.5 (PR) = 265HP @ 7.4 PSI BOOST. THE BLOWER TAKES CRANK POWER TO TURN IT, AND THAT FORMULA IS:
CFM x PSI/220= CRANK POWER LOSS. YOUR MOTOR AT 7 PSI WILL FLOW ABOUT 450CFM @ 6K RPM. SO 450 X 7/220 = 14HP. SO 265 -14 = 251 HP. THESE NUMBERS WILL OF COURSE BE DIFFIRENT THAN THE ACTUAL RESULTS, BUT THEY ARE A GREAT STARTING POINT. I HAVE A RANGER CUSTOMER WHO RUNS MID 13'S @ 9 PSI ON A STOCK BOTTOM END WITH WATER-ALCOHOL INJECTION (A GREAT IDEA FOR ANYTHING OVER 6-7 PSI). PORTED HEADS, LOWER MANIFOLD, PORTED BLOWER, ETC.

THOMAS (GEOFF) KNIGHT
THOMAS KNIGHT TURBOS
BOOSTHEAD.COM
786-243-2000
22050 SW 155 AVE
MIAMI, FL

OK, here is another reply that they sent after I said I would post the last e-mail. Man I wish I had 750 bucks :mad:

OK--I HAVE FOUR SETS LEFT IN STOCK FOR THE NISSAN BLOWER ON THE 4.0 OHV. IF YOU GET A GROUP BUY I WILL SELL THESE FOUR FOR $750 EACH ($3000 TOTAL IN ONE ORDER), AND EVERYONE CAN GET A BLOWER ON THEIR CAR FOR LESS THAN $1500--YOU NEED THE NISSAN FRONTIER/PATHFINDER SUPERCHARGER, GASKETS FOR THE BLOWER, INLINE FUEL PUMP, FMU, AND GAUGES. A WATER-ALCOHOL INJECTION IS A FANTASTIC UPGRADE, AS THE 100+ OCTANE OF ALCOHOL COMBINED WITH WATER PULLING 8000 BTU'S PER GALLON COOLS COMBUSTION TEMPS BY 150+ DEGREES. HERE IS AN ARTICLE ON W/A INJECTION:

I want a supercharger but am gonna do an engine rebuild and tranny beef first. I still haven't heard of anybody buying this and I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Yea I just hate to miss out on that price. Dammit. If I had the 750 bucks, I would be the test platform. Of course my tranny has 224K on it. Prbably not good for it.

I'm totally willing to do this... as the exploders been paid off for a while, and i tow. Has anyone gotten closer to doing this? I want to have a write up from one of us....

There was someone in here who did, but I have asked before and no response. If someone would like to sponsor me for 750 bucks I will get the kit and do the write up. :D

Would this kit work on a 99 OHV?

Yes... it will. Read the entire thread. Problem is... nobody has done it as far as i'm concerned. I can't believe someone did and is holding out on telling us about it.

I NEED MORE POWER

I also have the 5 speed manual... so no xmission issues here.

Steedaexplorer said he was going to buy the kit and I have PM'ed him before, but have not heard back.

Rumor has it Steeda's X got into a wreck, still kinda strange for him never to come back though.

Ok - thoughts here guys....daily driver with 120k miles on it. I'm willing to do this for $1500 IF the down sides aren't too bad. Money isn't the issue...priorities are...hmmm super first or catback, bigger lift, and 35's? Decisions, decisions :confused:

Maybe I don't understand superchargers well enough, but I still want to be able to tow, off-road, daily drive, etc. Will the supercharger do anything other than send my tranny to an early (or rather, an earlier :eek: ) grave?

Oh, and I have a 97 XLT with OHV

I am for sure going to do this. I just wish this was 45 days in the future. I would fork over $750 in a heartbeat....

I'm building a complete motor and this is my icing on the cake. Sure it'll cost more then a 302 but how many V6s do you see that'll run with most v8s?

NOTAJP said:
I am for sure going to do this. I just wish this was 45 days in the future. I would fork over $750 in a heartbeat....

I'm building a complete motor and this is my icing on the cake. Sure it'll cost more then a 302 but how many V6s do you see that'll run with most v8s?
Do you have the SC yet? Also just curious where you get the 750 from? Are they selling on e-bay again? I e-mailed Thomas Knight about the price, and he said it was only good for the auction. I have the FMU, brand new SC, and the boost guage. I just need the mounting adapters and some odds and ends. :D

I don't have the SC yet, there's a ton of them on eBay so I'll pick one up as soon as I have the mounting kit. Contact Josh about the group buy for the $750 deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOTAJP said:
I don't have the SC yet, there's a ton of them on eBay so I'll pick one up as soon as I have the mounting kit. Contact Josh about the group buy for the $750 deal.
Um................you just replied to Josh! :rolleyes:

:p

Back