• Register Today It's free!

No Cold or Intermediate Idle

mzcie

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
I recently replaced many sensors including TP sensor in order to pass CA smog inspection. However, I still have a cold start problem. I don't have a cold or intermediate idle. The X starts a little rough but warms up in a couple of minutes.

I need to fix the idle problem. Does anyone know what part is out? I've been told it's an aluminum part that the TP sensor connects to.

Thanks, you awsome guys.

Granny in CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your intake manifold bolts may just need to be tightened. If air gets around the gaskets, you will have rough idle. When engine warms and expands, the gaskets may seal enough to end the problem.

The mass airflow sensor is a good first suspect in cold/moderate idling problems. Clean the wires carefully (there's a thread here on it) and see.

And do clean the IAC, That alone can work wonders

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions before I buy new parts. A little cleaning never hurts.

Pardon my ignorance, please. What an IAC?

Idle Air Control valve. Mounted to the side of the upper intake. Controls the amount of air bypassing the throttle plate at idle to control idle speed. When it gets dirty, air flow is impaired, and you get a bad idle.

Back