Please help! Airbag lamp on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! Airbag lamp on.

Lord Marty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay so I've had my 02 4.6 v8 explorer for a month or two now and after fixing engine problems and all that jazz I was relieved that she was done. Now the air bag lamp has come on everytime I start her up. I start the car and the lamp stays on for a few moment then flashes in a pattern or 3 flashes pause 3 flashes pause so on and so forth for about five times then stays on (so the pattern is 3-3-3-3-3 then stays on). I've tried searching what's wrong, I've cleaned the connector under the passenger seat and still nothing. Please help... I don't want anyone to get hurt in my car if anything happens while I'm driving. Thanks so much!

There is a TSB on this:

Article No.
03-11-3

06/09/03

ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP
ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE
(DTC) B2292

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault) OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC

2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.3 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform
Deactivation/Reactivation)

031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.6 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform
Deactivation/Reactivation)

031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.5 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Reactivation - With Canopy
Air Bag)

031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.8 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Reactivation - With Canopy
Air Bag)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES: 104000, 203200, 206000

I had a code 34 for several years. Sometimes would go out for a couple of weeks at a time if i reposition harness under pass seat. I rang out the pass seat harness from the controller in the center console to the yellow connector u jnder pass seat many times and could not get to read open. About a month ago I rewired the passenger harness from the controller right up to the pins that go into the seatbelt pretensioner and crimped those pins just a bit more...all solder connections..and gold contacts under he seat in case i want to remove the seat. So far, no more airbag light. I believe 33 is drivers seat and 34 is pass side. I have reD conflicting info on tbis site of which side gives 34 / 33. Thats my story and I hope it helps. Good luck. The pretensioner wiith wiring runs 150 bucks alone.

Back