• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Wheels & Sport

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Winter is just around the corner and I'd love to see have Interceptor wheels on my Explorer Sport.

Will Police Interceptor Wheels fit the 2017 Explorer Sport?

My local dealer says that the Explorer and Police Interceptor Explorer have different hubs. And the Interceptor Explorer shares hubs with the Taurus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Winter is just around the corner and I'd love to see have Interceptor wheels on my Explorer Sport.

Will Police Interceptor Wheels fit the 2017 Explorer Sport?

My local dealer says that the Explorer and Police Interceptor Explorer have different hubs. And the Interceptor Explorer shares hubs with the Taurus.
I have the steel Interceptor 18" wheels the I use in place of my OEM 20". I initially had them on my 2014 MKT. If you plan on getting the center caps you will have to also get the special lug nuts that the caps snap on to. I bought everything from the dealership. No issues mounting the wheels. If you plan on using TPMS sensors, make sure you get the correct ones meant to show individual readouts. There should be no difference in the Sport. Dealers should be offering Winter wheels and tire specials very soon.

Peter

2017 Platinum.JPG

PA290305_001.JPG

False. Retail Explorers and PIUs use the same hubs.

Retail Taurus has different hubs than PISs.

PIU and PIS do not use same hubs.

I have the steel Interceptor 18" wheels the I use in place of my OEM 20". I initially had them on my 2014 MKT. If you plan on getting the center caps you will have to also get the special lug nuts that the caps snap on to. I bought everything from the dealership. No issues mounting the wheels. If you plan on using TPMS sensors, make sure you get the correct ones meant to show individual readouts. There should be no difference in the Sport. Dealers should be offering Winter wheels and tire specials very soon.

Peter

View attachment 151078

View attachment 151079
I ordered the wheels so far. What did the package cost you? do you have a itemized bill

Can anyone please provide the part numbers for the interceptor wheels, studs & chrome center caps?

How do the wheels look without the chrome center caps?

I ordered the wheels so far. What did the package cost you? do you have a itemized bill
Keep in mind these are 2014 prices.
DG1Z-1015-A Wheel Assy. (List) $102.95, (Net) $88.00 = $352.00
F87Z-1130-GB Wheel Cover (List) $23.54, (Net) $20.00 = $80.00
TPMS-12-Kit, TPMS Sensor (List) $63.82, (Net) $55.00 = $220.00
DG1Z-1012-AWSP Nut (List) $2.56 (Net) $2.56 = $51.20
1007K Wheel Weight Kit (List) $3.95 (Net) $3.95 = $3.95
ETIRECON (Stewardship Fee) $5.43 X 4 =$21.72
Labour to install and balance 4 wheels and tires - $78.00, Parts $1588.87 for a total of $1666.87 + tax.
NOTE: The wheel nuts were substantially more but because the parts manager had bought the last box of them from the supplier he gave me a discount on them. Not sure what the actual price should have been.
Also, the cost of the 4 tires, $860 is included in the Parts cost but not itemized here. That brings the cost down to $728.87 + the cost of your tires and installation/balancing.

Peter

Keep in mind these are 2014 prices.
DG1Z-1015-A Wheel Assy. (List) $102.95, (Net) $88.00 = $352.00
F87Z-1130-GB Wheel Cover (List) $23.54, (Net) $20.00 = $80.00
TPMS-12-Kit, TPMS Sensor (List) $63.82, (Net) $55.00 = $220.00
DG1Z-1012-AWSP Nut (List) $2.56 (Net) $2.56 = $51.20
1007K Wheel Weight Kit (List) $3.95 (Net) $3.95 = $3.95
ETIRECON (Stewardship Fee) $5.43 X 4 =$21.72
Labour to install and balance 4 wheels and tires - $78.00, Parts $1588.87 for a total of $1666.87 + tax.
NOTE: The wheel nuts were substantially more but because the parts manager had bought the last box of them from the supplier he gave me a discount on them. Not sure what the actual price should have been.
Also, the cost of the 4 tires, $860 is included in the Parts cost but not itemized here. That brings the cost down to $728.87 + the cost of your tires and installation/balancing.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I was quoted prices slightly above dealer cost.
Rims are 100 each (police rims)
center hub caps 30/each
nuts are 5.25 each (double of 2014 prices)
sensors? no price yet
plus Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 on order

I expect those Police rims to stand up better to the elements than the regular cheaper steel rims i have been buying in the past

Thanks Peter. I was quoted prices slightly above dealer cost.
Rims are 100 each (police rims)
center hub caps 30/each
nuts are 5.25 each (double of 2014 prices)
sensors? no price yet
plus Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 on order

I expect those Police rims to stand up better to the elements than the regular cheaper steel rims i have been buying in the past
The $860 I showed in my post was for the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires. I have an appointment to have them put back on this Halloween. I picked up the Ex on Halloween last year. So far it has turned out to be a 'treat'.:D

Peter

Peter

View attachment 151078

View attachment 151079
What size tire did you use? Cause if you put the 245/45/18 with the steel wheel in place of the 255/50/20 factory wont your speedometer be off several mph

What size tire did you use? Cause if you put the 245/45/18 with the steel wheel in place of the 255/50/20 factory wont your speedometer be off several mph
The tire is a 235/60R18 which results in a -3.1% diameter difference. I had these on the 2014 MKT I had which had a different OEM size than the Explorer. The tires were still in excellent shape so I decided to use them. When the speedo shows 60, the actual speed would be 58.13 mph. When these tires need to be replaced I will use a 235/65R18 which will be an exact match for the 20".

Peter

The tire is a 235/60R18 which results in a -3.1% diameter difference. I had these on the 2014 MKT I had which had a different OEM size than the Explorer. The tires were still in excellent shape so I decided to use them. When the speedo shows 60, the actual speed would be 58.13 mph. When these tires need to be replaced I will use a 235/65R18 which will be an exact match for the 20".

Peter
Thank You. I ordered a set of wheels from the dealer, got a really good price so now just figuring out the tire sizes. So the 235/65/18 would would match up fine or should I keep the 255 width and go with 60 profile for 255/60/18 cause that was seeming to match up to. I know they both fit I just don’t want to add more miles to the truck then it really has if the speedo is off.

Thank You. I ordered a set of wheels from the dealer, got a really good price so now just figuring out the tire sizes. So the 235/65/18 would would match up fine or should I keep the 255 width and go with 60 profile for 255/60/18 cause that was seeming to match up to. I know they both fit I just don’t want to add more miles to the truck then it really has if the speedo is off.
If you plan to use them for Winter driving then the 235 would be better. A narrower tire will result less resistance cutting through snow/slush and will be less prone to hydroplaning.

Also I believe with intercepter wheels, they are heavier and need to be torqued to 110ft/lb instead of 100 for the rest of us.

I just gotta get a set of center caps , lug nuts and tires and possibly tpms, it’s an expensive setup no matter how you do it.
I don’t have a torque wrench and I have a feeling even the shop will just tighten till there tight

If you do it yourself, you need a torque wrench. Torque wrenches are $40 and you need a 1/2" 19mm bit. You don't want to risk loose bolts or overtightening which will stretch and break studs and end up costing you $200 to fix (all labor).

If you do it yourself, you need a torque wrench. Torque wrenches are $40 and you need a 1/2" 19mm bit. You don't want to risk loose bolts or overtightening which will stretch and break studs and end up costing you $200 to fix (all labor).
I do have a 1/2” 19mm socket but never got around to the torque wrench, honestly usually just use the impact gun and compressor till it tight. Probably not the best way

I just gotta get a set of center caps , lug nuts and tires and possibly tpms, it’s an expensive setup no matter how you do it.
I don’t have a torque wrench and I have a feeling even the shop will just tighten till there tight
I watched the service tech use a torque wrench on mine but not sure what it was set at. On the invoice from last April when the OEM wheels were put back on it was 100ft/lb. Even if they use that setting for both sets of wheels, I had no issues last Winter not the previous two Winters when the same wheels were on my MKT.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back