Random Misfire on 3 cylinders | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random Misfire on 3 cylinders

The cylinder 4 didnt start showing up until I took it out and romped on it. So I imagine that is what did in cylinder 4. Also my wife works an hour away. Im sure that her driving it back an hour misfiring the whole way home was not good for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more i read up on this. I believe the misfire was the source of all the problems. My wife says the light was blinking on her way home. Apparantly the blinking CEL means that its a cat damaging condition.

It got me worried a little.
The first time when I had serious misfire was when I was away on a vacation trip with the family, few hundred miles away. I drove home with that in 3rd and 4th gear just to keep rpm up. That was at 99k miles, luckily did not flood the cats with fuel. I had again similar situation at about 148k miles, and replaced all coils and plugs and the truck is like new at 150k, so maybe I dodged the bullet.

From what I read, a clogged cat should not damage the engine, maybe it was just poor workmanship.

Just an update on this. Since the motor swap the trans seems to be working great now also. The low speed clunk is gone, the shutter at about 50 MPH is gone (felt like it was going in and out of overdrive I'm thinking that this was a coil pack), and overall the trans just feels normal now. I did add about 1/2 qt back to it. I am curious if having the battery disconnected so long caused the trans to lose its memory and it had to relearn? The battery was disconnected for about two weeks.

Having the battery disconnected usualy clears the "driving memory", that was the case in Fords I had.

Congrats on the job well done, I am sure you realize you saved couple of grands of the green bills :) even if you had to pay the helper.

What year is the other Explorer in the pic ?

The other explorer is a friends. They let us borrow it while ours was down. Its a 2003. Yes i know how much money i would have spent. Thats why i do it all myself. That and i dont trust any shops to actually do it correctly. And as far as paying my helper i just had to buy him beer!

When the time comes for mine, I'll call you and your helper :) There will be unlimited supply of beer, and any food you want.

From what I recall, you really enjoyed working on the Explorer :)

Lol i wouldnt say that i enjoyed it. I really learned alot on this car. It might not be so bad a second time around. If you were local im sure my buddy could be persuaded for beer. He works cheap.

Back