• Register Today It's free!

Re-Setting The Computer Question?

itzbinnice

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Xlt Black
MY 95X just had the OD flashing light problem, only 69K babied miles.
I reset the computer 3 times disconnecting both cables on the battery and let it sit for 20 minutes. Each time the light went out but came back after about 20 minutes driving. For the past two winters, in very cold weather the truck took a very long time to shift out of first.

On a referral by my mechainic who is quite honest, he sent me to a independant tranny shop (2 man shop) that he has done business with for 25 years. When we road tested he said it was shifting from 1st to 3rd.

Hooked up the Snap On diagnostic tester, codes read 2nd gear gone, he dropped the pan and the band was at bottom of pan.
In the process of a complete rebuild including torque converter.

Now for the point, the technician told me whenever I disconnect the battery, I must first disconnect the negative, then the positive,
When re-connecting, the positive first, then the negative. He said otherwise it could cause a spike and burn out diodes in the alternator as well as potential damage to the computer.

Anybody ever heard of this and your opinions on his advice.

You do not need to remove the positive cable, just the negative one to re-set your computer.

Yup
neg first off last on

Al
Thanks for the tip.

MONMIX
I see you confirmed his advice, from this day forward I will always use that sequence when removing battery cables as well as using booster cables.

Back