1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 93 Explorer 4wd automatic. Just replaced
vacuum lines
pcv valve
spark plugs and wires
valve cover and intake gaskets
fresh oil change
fresh air filter

I have no engine codes(the light turns on when the key is turned forward then shuts off when it is running)

the car idles a 700(under the 1 on the rpm gauge) in park and in neutral and 600 when in gear.

Idle is smooth when sitting still,
the catalytic converters on the passenger side(is there ones on the driver side?) are glowing red
and there is a smell of gas near the converter.

When driving it seems to shudder when pressing the gas but when coasting the vehicle seems to have no problems.

*Just bought a week ago everything seem to be fine in the test drive*
I do not know if this is related but when I was inspecting the intake there was a red liquid near the throttle plate that was thinner than transfluid but almost the same color. It was also in the vacuum line that runs to the cruise control box and brake booster.

These are the plugs that I pulled out and replaced today. 4 of them( all driver side and one pass) smelled burnt old as I would expect
the other two had a slight sweet smell added to that smelt like the red fluid I found in the intake and vacuum lines.

click for fullsize

th_20110807_0361.jpg

th_20110807_0351.jpg

th_20110807_0341.jpg

The silver on one of the plugs is just antiseize from an accident.

ohhh yeah odometer says 51000ish probably 151000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the fluid visible in the vacuum line that runs down to your transmission? A vacuum modulator for your transmission is ~$25-$30 part at your local parts store (you can find them for as little as $10 online) and easy to replace.

Glowing cat? Hit it when it is cool and let us know if it is rattling. Though, going by your spark plugs, it could also have been unburnt fuel burning off in your cat.

The fluid is not visible in the trans vacuum line.

The cats glow when they are working to burn off unburned fuel.Something is way too rich. Is your engine getting up to proper operating temp? If it's running cool-cold,replace your thermostat. Pull the vacuum hose from your fuel pressure regulater to make sure it is not leaking fuel, also a "lazy" o2 sensor may switch slow,and not trip a code, but that should not load up your cat. If it's been running like for long, it will damage the cat. converter.

I checked everything and it turns out I had faulty 02 sensors. The cats still seem to be clogged so I was looking to use a high flow as a replacement but i do not know how i would go from the 3 bolt flange with a oval in the middle to a circle pipe.

You say they seem clogged, why? Are they still glowing red? Does the vehicle lack power?

If your cats have been doing this for a while, the media inside will start to melt, and then come apart. A good exhaust shop can replace the cats, I would also replace the muffler as it can plug as well.

Did back pressure check when o2 was out and it did not change to a good reading when the muffler was dropped

Back