• Register Today It's free!

Remote Entry Question...

Ryan00793

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Exp Limited 4x4 V8
So I've got a 03 Limited and it came with a 3 button remote, I was looking around and noticed this thread. People mentioned that they didn't know how to open the glass with out the remote, and my remote does not have a trunk button.

If I were to get say these remotes, would I be able to open the glass hatch with them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use four button remotes on my 2005.

Theoretically, yes. I bought remotes for my F150, which I bought used and got no remotes. The guys on the F150 site said it should work. Well, they didn't. It turned out there is a control box that didn't come with my vehicle. BUT since your Explorer came with remotes, the only question would be if that back hatch has the necessary equipment to receive and pop the glass. You could do some panel removal and look -- or you could say 'these remotes are cheap enough to just buy them and try it'. I ended up throwing my remotes for the F150 in the trash. You will have to program the new ones, if you're not aware.

I use four button remotes on my 2005.
Thanks

Theoretically, yes. I bought remotes for my F150, which I bought used and got no remotes. The guys on the F150 site said it should work. Well, they didn't. It turned out there is a control box that didn't come with my vehicle. BUT since your Explorer came with remotes, the only question would be if that back hatch has the necessary equipment to receive and pop the glass. You could do some panel removal and look -- or you could say 'these remotes are cheap enough to just buy them and try it'. I ended up throwing my remotes for the F150 in the trash. You will have to program the new ones, if you're not aware.
Yea they were only $10 bucks and I figured it was worth a shot and I ordered them.

If you look up your model on a parts site, it should show which to use.

People mentioned that they didn't know how to open the glass with out the remote, and my remote does not have a trunk button.

FYI, if you didn't know already, there is a black rubber-ish button to the right of the tailgate handle that will release the hatch glass. It's not very apparent and does seem rather tucked away...you gotta kinda feel around for it or squat down and look up at the handle area.

FYI, if you didn't know already, there is a black rubber-ish button to the right of the tailgate handle that will release the hatch glass. It's not very apparent and does seem rather tucked away...you gotta kinda feel around for it or squat down and look up at the handle area.

Thanks but I did know how to open it. Another reason why I think the remotes will work is that the keypad on the driver door will also open the glass hatch.

So I've gotten the remotes and they worked flawlessly. Now I realised how spongy my old remote is and I should have done it sooner. With the pair of remotes being the cost of batteries from autozone, it just makes sense to replace your clicker instead of the battery.

Back