Replacing a broken lower shock bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing a broken lower shock bolt?

LiLYeLL

Reaction score
City, State
endwell ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
How is that I go about replacing a busted lower front shock bolt? Apparently.. it looks like it may be a stud of some sort. Is it removeable? Am up $#%^ creek without a paddle???

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks,
JayJay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I busted on off a few weeks ago changing the original shocks. There's plenty of threads on it. But net of it, you can drill out the spot where it broke and put in a 1/2" by 3" long bolt (with washers obvisouly) and a locking nut or regular nut with loc tite.

I've broken it a couple times. The first two I put on were welded where the factory one was.

When I broke the last one I drilled out factory one and used a grinder to remove the bits of the welded on one. I then put on replacement lower shock mount (it bolts on).

So far so good.. and if I break one again I can replace it easily since it is bolted on.

~Mark

OK.. so basically I can grind of the rest of the bos and drill out the rest. Then use a bolt and washers. Sounds fairly ease.. I'll give it a go.

OK.. so basically I can grind of the rest of the bos and drill out the rest. Then use a bolt and washers. Sounds fairly ease.. I'll give it a go.

Thats the basic idea but they do make lower shock mount just for what you need to do. The good ones are designed so you have something to grab onto on the shock side of the mount to hold it still while you tighten the nut on the back side.

I've seen that shock mount at a few different auto parts stores. If I remember correctly you need a better store than Autozone or Kragens (checkers).. NAPA, CarQuest etc should carry it.

~Mark

I went through that & used grade 8 bolts lock nuts & washers.
Napa also makes a shock mount kit. this is a bolt on kit & is supposed to work very well. Although you have to enlarge the stock hole a bit for the new mount to fit. I have them but not installed cause the bolts I have are working fine.

Aparently can you break the replacement lower shock mounts too..

I did this last night heading down our dirt road.. (I was in a hurry).. I need to hurry up and move that upper shock mount so I don't run out of shock travel.

2049636663_7dccef2a67.jpg

BTW.. I'm using a 1/2 ton mount. a 3/4 mount has a bigger bolt (meaning I drill out the hole more).

~Mark

Is that the mount from Napa?

I got that one from "Merles". Thats a local parts chain that sells to shops more than consumers.

I'm heading out at lunch to pick up a couple more of them so I can fix it before the Truckhaven run this weekend.

If merles is out of them I will try Napa, but from what I've read, the napa one is more like the chevy 3/4 ton ones (bigger bolt through the radius arm) which I already have (I'll just need to drill it out some)

~Mark

In a pinch you can actually make do with what you have. I broke mine off at the threads, but the rest of the stud that goes through the shock was still there, so I just put the shock on and then put cable ties around the end of the radius arm and the bottom of the shock to hold it on! It has been like that for six months because I'm too lazy to go get a new one, and it has held up to highway and a lot of rough dirt and gravel roads without giving me any problems yet!

I got that one from "Merles". Thats a local parts chain that sells to shops more than consumers.

I'm heading out at lunch to pick up a couple more of them so I can fix it before the Truckhaven run this weekend.

If merles is out of them I will try Napa, but from what I've read, the napa one is more like the chevy 3/4 ton ones (bigger bolt through the radius arm) which I already have (I'll just need to drill it out some)

~Mark

That's why I haven't put mine on yet. I have to drill out the hole bigger then it is now. PITA.

I picked up a pair at lunch.. They are actually from the "Help" section. The part # is 31001. Turns out the one I got from Merles before they don't carry anymore. They only carry the ones in the "Help" section.

The one from the help section is round on the outside of the RA while the last one I got it had some cutouts so I could put a wrench on it.

The Help section mount needs a hole on the RA slightly bigger than the threaded end (the end that has the nut that holds the shock on).. My guess is 5/8" or so.

~Mark

Here's a pic of it (from Checker/Karagen/Shucks). The "Help" section parts are made by "Motormite". BTW.. At autozone they are $7.00 each..

331001.jpg

~Mark

Get out to the salvage yard and find an older Ranger (pre 90). They have an additional angled bracket that wraps around the bottom of the shock. Then use a longer 1/2" bolt that goes through the entire assembly. Fixed forever... Ford had a good design initially, then, like all manufacturers, they simplified and cheapened.

I replaced mine this evening..

the ones I got form autzone (Help section) need what looks like a 9/16th inch hole in the RA..

I decided to use the bigger ones. The ones I used are for a 3/4 Ton Chevy (I think rear). They needed a 5/8" hole.

~Mark

I replaced mine this evening..

the ones I got form autzone (Help section) need what looks like a 9/16th inch hole in the RA..

I decided to use the bigger ones. The ones I used are for a 3/4 Ton Chevy (I think rear). They needed a 5/8" hole.

~Mark

wow awesome info.. made me think twice when fixing it. my truck is slammed so pot holes are even more of an ordeal.. bigger bolt makes me feel better in the long run.. now I just have to do the other side.
:salute:

You can see a drawing of the additional Ranger bracket in this parts breakdown of the Dana 28 axle. The part that supports the shock will fit the Dana 35 easily. I've done this mod a couple times. Adds lots of strength.

Look in the lower right hand corner of the drawing for the part.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/fs1.GIF

Back