• Register Today It's free!

Running Board Mat

topo4u2

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Has anyone had the black rubber or plastic running board mats start to lift in certain areas from the heat? Mine are lifting in a couple of places and it looks like it could be a real bummer to fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen it happen on a lot of vehicles, but I couldn't even guess how to fix it.

Hey buddy, i had the same problem and found an awesome fix for it. Take brand name super glue (not the imitation kind) and put a small line of glue along the edge where the black plastic is coming away from the tan-like actual running board. Then take a clamp and squeeze the black plastic to the running board. I had this problem in may. I fixed it in may and havent had any probelms since. I have beat the hell out of the running boards too. Water, car wash, mud, sand....Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask. Theres nothing super glue and duct tape cant fix!!!

Thanks for the reply Matt, sounds like a real good plan. Is that a brand name "super glue" or is it like "krazy glue" ?
I will definately give that a try as I was ready to screw the damm thing down and beside know one will see the inside part anyway.
Now, if I could just get those blasted map lights to work!

Hey cool. I'm gonna have to try that too. The pieces on my boards are lifting too but I fugured the whole thing would have to be replaced.

Oh topo4u2, just in case you didn't know, your profile says you have an 85 XLT. Just thought I'd let you know.:D :p

Thanks, it should be corrected.

Ford sales the pads if the glue does not work I have done them a few times.

There are a bunch of studs coming out of the bottom of the mats that go through the bottom of the running board. There are nuts on the studs to hold them down. The holes in the boards they go through are oblong so that you can adjust them for fit. The nuts don't actually tighten to the boards (I assume so the mats can expand over time due to heat), but if you use a washer as a spacer, you can then tighten the mats down tight to the running board. Just slide the studs over in their holes to pull the lifted areas flat and tighten them down.

My driver's side has been done like this for 6 months with no problems. (still haven't done the other side because I'm lazy)

Thanks John, I will look into that fix although if I am not mistaken the studs are just spinning and cannot get the nuts off.

Not krazy glue.....only SUPER GLUE

running boards

topo4u2

the tread part of the running board is plastic/vinyl. it expands and contracts differently than what it is "attached" to.

it should be able to move, it needs some room.

also when washing your truck at the car wash don't use a lot of water pressure when cleaning them. this will only contribute to the "curling"

check the screws underneath

peter

Hello, had the rubber mats off this afternoon. Tried to straighten them out but did not do too good so I will take the best advice and grab some good glue.

Take them off and let them sit in the sun and get good and hot. Then put them back on with a rubber washer on each one. Thats what they originally had on them but they used cheap stuff and mine were pretty much rotted when I took mine off a few months ago. After I reinstalled them I had the same problem as you so I put the rubber washers on the 10 studs and just tightened them enough so they wouldnt back off. No problems since.

Back