Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Runs really rough bad exhaust smell

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by woodjamin, March 1, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      This all started as i was coming to a stop light and slowing down. Engine started bucking and the exhaust started to smell bad. Already replaced the egr valve and the dpfe sensor. New air filter, spark plugs, o2 sensors and cats. Any idea what's causing this? I'm pretty sure the smell is from excess fuel reaching the cats buts who knows. 2002 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc
      I was able to get it home about 20 miles. Going up hill the CEL would flash. Codes were reset before i could get my hands on a scanner. Today after changing the EGR and pressure sensor i started it up and it is still running horrible.

Last edited: March 1, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      after running the truck for 10min still no CEL. only a pending code of p1151.

4. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
    5. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      I'll change them when the weather let's me. Thank you for the reply

6. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      If you had recently changed them it could just be a fluke that one cracked or something, inspect them and also check your spark plug wires. Does it feel like 1 or 2 cylinders is mis-firing? Note these vehicles have a wasted spark ignition system so if a spark plug wire is getting grounded out somewhere it will kill spark to not one but two cylinders depending on which side of the polarity it is on.

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      Yes they were changed last February with double platinum which I now know aren't the greatest. Haven't put too many miles on it since due to other mechanical problems I have since fixed. It does feel like it is misfiring or not firing on all 6. Not sure if that is the same thing. I am waiting for a pack of ngk iridium plugs to come in. How can I tell if the wire is arching to ground?

8. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      Get the correct Motorcraft SP500 plugs http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=949946 , funny you say NGK, it was a NGK Iridium that cracked in my other vehicle.

Open the hood in the dark with the engine running. You can also try moving the wires around while it's mis-firing and see if there is any change. (I'd use a non-conductive stick)

9. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      i will get those thank you. i took the plugs out this afternoon and cleaned them up one side at a time to see if there was any change. they were really dirty. after firing it up and running for less than a minute it ran way better then went back to the same old shake and sputter. i did pull the wires while running and it did make a slight difference and then again went back to crap. also did a vacuum test and that doesn't seem to be the issue. oh and i did not see any cracks in the plugs.

10. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
    11. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      It's possible. I know it can still be working but send false info. On my real my data is saying around 14g/s at around 1200rpm. I did order a new one just in case. I tierd of throwing money at this thing. Was also told and injector could be stuck and is not switching. So looking at some now. Never replaced one of those before and not sure if my scanner can give me the diagnostic info
      It's deff running rich
      The one potential code. Is p11510 which a lean code from an o2 sensor due to it trying to correct the richness.

12. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Was one plug either much more dirty, or much more clean than the others?

13. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      They were all pretty dirty. Maybe 2 more than others with sludge all the way up to the threads

14. Joe in NY

Joe in NY Active Member

City, State:
      Binghamton, NY
      2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
      try just unplugging the MAF and see how that goes. OBDII is designed to able to run without the MAF connected. If you have a bad MAF causing the car to run poorly disconnecting it will force default values in place of incorrect values.

15. woodjamin

woodjamin New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      thanks for the reminder. i thought that i had already did that when i was replacing the egr and had the whole air box off up to the the throttle body and it had no effect. but now that i think about it i also had the vacuum line disconnected as well that is right after the MAF. i will try again when this forsaken snow stops here in the north east.

-all plug wires looked ok. no sparks at night. i did inspect the coil, no burnt smell and the only physical damage i saw was a crack in the mount next to the bolt.