• Register Today It's free!

Scratches on front windows-Why?

hank19-1

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
95 Explorer On both front windows I have scratches that run the total length of both windows and they are in a straight line. What on earth is the cause of this? It's on both windows so there must be something in the window track that is causing this,but what? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hank19-1 said:
95 Explorer On both front windows I have scratches that run the total length of both windows and they are in a straight line. What on earth is the cause of this? It's on both windows so there must be something in the window track that is causing this,but what? Thanks!
Are they vertical or Horizontal, you can get alot of grit buildup in the rubber seals, acts as a constant abrasive on your glass

If they are about an inch and a half apart, running parallel up the window glass, it may be a small metal guide with black 'fuzz' on it (on the exterior side of the window glass, inside the door about halfway down). My 91 has it on 3 of 4 windows, because the 'fuzz' has since eroded and now two nice metal rivets contact the glass, causing the scrapes. Looks awful.

If that is in fact the case with yours, I have yet to find a way to remedy it, let alone reach it without demolishing my door guts.

......anyone have a workaround?

<insert> Merry Christmas! </>

I havethis same problem, about a year ago my driver side window would make a horrid screeching noise. Then I noticed two light scratches and one nice deep scratch. I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem and if it is possible to fix the scratches in the glass or will I have to get a new window.

It's caused by the metal clips that hold the belt moulding to the door... I don't know why it happens, but it does... if the scratches are not too deep, glass repair shops can buff them out...

Scratches-Did Ford know about it?

Sorry,I just get a little cranky when a problem like this is common and happens in several model years. My question is,If this was a problem for many years "why" didn't Ford "do" something about it? I really am trying very hard to have "nice" things to say about the Explorer. But with problems like this......

I've seen it happen on brand new vehicles that hadn't even been delivered. It's a dumb design, and probably poor workmanship all the same. If you're not careful putting the new inside belt moulding on, you can end up with the same problem all over again.

Eneurb-Got a question for you

You say your from Ajax,Ontario. Just curious is there a Ajax Lake close to you? If there is back in 1964 my dad(I was 9 years old)and 2 other guys went to a fishing lodge there and flew out to some remote outpost on lake Ajax. Caught "huge" northern's. Now THAT'S fishing. Will never forget that. The next year we went to some lake by Kenora. I love Canada. Will get back there again sometime.

Not near here. Ajax is about 10 minutes east of Toronto on Lake Ontario.

Back