87tpita

Reaction score
City, State
Tinley park Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt 4x4 4.0
Trans started whining a few days ago and just let loose on the expressway

IMG_20180923_165117582.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the truck for free about 4, 000 miles ago. Did front hub ,rear spindle and hub ,rear toe link ,rear brake pads, fuel filter, intake gasket,valve cover gaskets, plugs and oil change. Was planning on dropping the trans pan and differential covers to change fluid soon. unfortunately it wasn't soon enough but the damage was probably already done from previous owner

Got the truck for free about 4, 000 miles ago. Did front hub ,rear spindle and hub ,rear toe link ,rear brake pads, fuel filter, intake gasket,valve cover gaskets, plugs and oil change. Was planning on dropping the trans pan and differential covers to change fluid soon. unfortunately it wasn't soon enough but the damage was probably already done from previous owner
@87pita
What are the failure symptoms? 5R55W or S? imp

Started whining loud in second gear a couple days ago but was still driving and shifting okay. I decided to go to the lakefront for salmon fishing and while on the Eway felt a hard jerk and lost OD. Got off the expressway made it a few blocks and as soon as I hit stop and go traffic the trans started to completely slip. Towed it home, dropped the pan and there was a ton of metal and what looks to be disc material.

Started whining loud in second gear a couple days ago but was still driving and shifting okay. I decided to go to the lakefront for salmon fishing and while on the Eway felt a hard jerk and lost OD. Got off the expressway made it a few blocks and as soon as I hit stop and go traffic the trans started to completely slip. Towed it home, dropped the pan and there was a ton of metal and what looks to be disc material.
@87tpita
Both 2nd gear and OD use the OD band (applied), the same is true of the Front Clutch. Band failure may be due to either the band or the servo applying it. The clutch may indeed have failed and shed material as you describe.

Check for transmission codes; there are bound to be some. The PCM cannot differentiate among all possible failed parts, but CAN check shaft speeds relative to each other, as well as many failures of an electrical nature.

In any even, it appears the transmission will need to be rebuilt/replaced. imp

What would the codes matter? The pan was full of metal shards and clutch fragments.... The magnet was probably three quarters of an inch thick just full of metal

What would the codes matter? The pan was full of metal shards and clutch fragments.... The magnet was probably three quarters of an inch thick just full of metal
@87tpita
The codes matter for two reasons: the ability to know in advance of some fault, and the fact that if the transmission has some other vague, hard to spot problem in addition to the obvious failure, it may be rebuilt only to fail again soon. Just sayin' imp

Gotcha,,, at this point I'm just going to sell it as a parts car. I got it for free drove at 9 months have only invested few hundred bucks into it. Every seal on both differentials is leaking badly. Both timing chain guides are shot and two cylinders are starting to show slight low compression, both front calipers and Brake hoses need to be replaced. At this point I'm going to call it a day and consider it a win bat for a couple hundred bucks I got nine months out of

Back