Something draining battery?

Bladestorm

Reaction score
City, State
Circle Pines, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0
Hello,

I purchased a 2000 XLT 5.0 a few months back. About a week after I bought it I installed an indash DVD/LCD monitor. Now, I had only had the explorer a week so I dont remember if this happened before the install, but afterwards the door chime goes off regardless if I have the key in or not and is very anoying. Also, I can roll my windows down with the key out. Now, more important than those two problems is my dead battery issue. It seems if I let the Explorer sit for a day or two without starting it up, the battery drains and it wont start. I just got a new battery thinking that might be the problem but it still happens. Could my DVD/LCD player be the problem? There is a clock always on on top of the monitor when its not folded out, but is that draining that much power?

I cant think of what else to say, but if you need me to be more specific i'll try.

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely its your DVD/LCD monitor. Somewhere you or the instructions that came with it (not sure if you did it yourself or followed directions) messed up with wiring.

BTW, where is Circle Pines? sounds familiar....

Bladestorm said:
I can roll my windows down with the key out.

Now, is this when you are in the vehicle and you just shut it off or is it with the door open and the windows still go up and down? If you just turned the vehicle off and haven't opened any doors - the GEM module will stay powered utnil a door is opened or is timed out after a few minutes. That might be your window problem/feature.

If you would like to test for a draw on the battery - you should. Disconnect your ground cable. Use a digital multi-meter and put a lead on the neg post and to the negative cable. Ohm it out and let it sit for 45 mins. The ford GEM modules will stayed powered up from 30-60 mins. So you may be there for awhile. but your end reading should be below about 5 ohms or so.

-Drew

Now, is this when you are in the vehicle and you just shut it off or is it with the door open and the windows still go up and down?

Its both. It doesent matter how long after the engines been shut off. Providing my battery hasnt drained yet, they will roll down hours even a day or two after the last shut off.

Well that isnt' good. I wonder if your GEM Module has crapped out. Sorry I can't help you any further.

-Drew

Back