1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sport 170* Thermostat Questions

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by CobraJohn, August 16, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. lotzatoys

lotzatoys New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2014 Explorer Sport
    I'm coming from the Fox Mustang world where for a long time changing the stock thermostat out for a 160 or 180 degree aftermarket part was a universally accepted as a worthwhile modification.

There's not many people now who would recommend going below a 180 since the consensus is that the engine isn't operating at optimal temperature as explained here:

Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage?

Is there something unique about the EB engines that make a 160 thermostat a good idea?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    A little late but Welcome to the Forum lotzatoys.:wave:
    Thank you for supporting the Forum through your Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. gmcv893

gmcv893 Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    2015 Explorer Sport
    I recently installed a 160 degree thermostat from Livernois, and my temps still range from 170 to 190 so I'm not even sure the thermostat is effective. I was also given the tune that would trigger the fans earlier so I'm not quite sure it is effective as well. That being said I haven't stood outside the Ex to see at what temperature the fans kick in to know for sure. For the temperature every once in a while it will drop to 170, and you can visually see a change in the dummy gauge on the dash. I monitor all this through Dash Command so I can get a numeric result.

5. lotzatoys

lotzatoys New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    That makes sense. I'm interested in purchasing the Livernois 93 tune but I don't think I would opt for the thermostat based on your feedback.

6. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
    I've been selling custom Stant 170° thermostats for several years - mostly to the Mustang & Cobra crowd (same one fits the Explorer). For $38 shipped - the one here - they are a great bang for the buck. Stant is the OE supplier, by the way. No need to pay $60-70, especially since some of them do not fit correctly. the 170 is perfect for these engines since it will allow for a more stable temp. I use the same one in my Whipple-powered Terminator (hence the Termi-Stat name).

Link is in the sig, or here it is ---> T-1

Last edited: April 24, 2018
  7. Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson New Member

City, State:
    GAYLORDSVILLE, CT
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Livernoise seems to sell the tstat with the open box airraid type intake and the 3bar map. I am speculating here that with a non cold air intake and higher boost pressure the engine will run alot hotter thus the need for a lower tstat with lower temp engaging fans. I am not a technician here but i think there is only a couple systems in the whole truck that benefit from the need to be colder rather than hotter.

8. Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson New Member

City, State:
    GAYLORDSVILLE, CT
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    My concern is that will a 160 or 170 tstat make the truck run cooler and take longer to heat in sub freezing winter temps up here in new England?