• Register Today It's free!

Steering issues.

rasey66

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hello all I have a 98 explorer xlt and am having issues with my steering if I turn real sharp it sounds like the front axle is gonna fall off but under normal driving it's fine. Seems like the front part of the 4 wheel drive keeps engaging and disengaging. Any feedback would be a great help thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

List more info of your vehicle please.

5.0 L AWD?
4.0 L 4WD?

There are 2 diff systems offered, and we need to know which one before we can ask questions or help you any. ;)

Welcome to the forum! More information about the truck would help. Any information on parts that have or have not been replaced recently will slightly narrow everything down.

List more info of your vehicle please.

5.0 L AWD?
4.0 L 4WD?

There are 2 diff systems offered, and we need to know which one before we can ask questions or help you any. ;)

its in the 4.0L 4wd

I have put a rebuilt motor in it but have not replaced anything else yet. Had Explorer for 36 hours when the cassettes for the jack chain on the passenger side broke. this front end trouble started out of now where and only seems to happen after the engine has warmed up.

Back