• Register Today It's free!

Tach Issues

explorerguy27

Reaction score
City, State
Canby, OR.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8 XLT
I have a 94 X and the tach never drops below about 4 grand, but will go up past 4 grand if I floor it. Any suggestions?? By the way its got 230k on the ticker and stil going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorerguy27 said:
I have a 94 X and the tach never drops below about 4 grand, but will go up past 4 grand if I floor it. Any suggestions?? By the way its got 230k on the ticker and stil going.

A tach in anything other than a diesel or HP car is a waste of dash space. Put some duct tape over it.

Thanks for your insight, but I like to use my tach for shift points and four-bying.

If it's the factory tach, it's probably electric (mechanical tachs are rare outside of vintage auto racing). Sounds like it might be shot. I don't know if something like that is rebuildable. Check w/Ford to see if they are stupidly priced (sometimes, they're not too bad). You might have to go with something aftermarket (Auto Meter makes nice stuff).

Take it out of the dash. See if there's some grit or something in the mechanism that won't let it return. What do you have to lose?

If your really motivated, take it out and have it rebuilt. there are speedo shops who can do that, replacing it should be a last resort.

Back