Tapping battery and running power into vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tapping battery and running power into vehicle

RonRN18

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
I am wishing to add at least one, if not two, two-way radios in my 2013 Explorer LTD (4WD). This vehicle is no longer a commute vehicle but I plan on using it for Search and Rescue, where I'm a communications guy. I am trying to figure out WHERE to best route the power cable, where to obtain the best ground, and how to most easily tap the battery. I've already had to replace the positive connection to the battery but replaced it with an identical new one from Ford. From doing that work, I recall that there was some type of connector that should be able to just snap in, instead of having to use an electrical eye-hook connector to a bolt and tighten down with a nut on the terminal. Does anyone know what type of a connector that is and a source to purchasing it? I plan on going a little overkill with the wire. I don't need to go with 10-gauge, but if I do, it will future-proof my project. My current two-way radio only transmits at 50-watts, but I may add additional radios later and figure I would like to be prepared for up to 20-25 amps. I plan on putting an inline fuse inside the engine compartment, just in case the wire shorts out somewhere between the battery and inside the vehicle. I will install a small fuse block under the dash, somewhere, so each newly added device will just run to the fuse block.

When it comes to routing the wire through the firewall, I've seen two YouTube videos showing locations. One is via a grommet behind the glovebox area and another is either beside the driver's seat or by the driver's left foot, that goes underneath the floor and up through the fender area. By going under the vehicle, I believe I then expose it to additional hazards, so I'm thinking the more challenging behind the glovebox route. Any thoughts or experience?

Back