Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tech Tip by "allmyEXes" 3618

Discussion in 'Tips and Technical Info posted by Technician's' started by allmyEXes, September 4, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. allmyEXes

allmyEXes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      No. Alabama USA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
      Callsign:
      KAGG 3611
      We all like to think that we have enough tools to go from the beginning to the end of a specific repair task. But sometimes we may not have quite the right tool. Decades back I needed a 9/32" deep well to undo interior fasteners on an old Ford. the parts stores were all closed and Sears too and all I had in my toolbox was a short 9/32". I dug around in my cheap socket box and found a stripped out 9mm. I promptly welded it to the 9/32" socket and now I had myself a deep well socket.
      socket2me.JPG
      It was a long time before I needed such an odd size again that it didn't get used for a while, however in more recent history when I spent a lot of time working on Fox body Mustangs it got used quite frequently. It turns out that 9/32" and 7mm are very close to the same size and now this old tool is used a lot. 7mm is also a popular fastener on Explorers.

Last edited: September 4, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
      hudson
      BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
      Welding another socket to the end of another does not make it a "deep well" socket. The screw will still only bottom out as far in as the socket on the end.

• Like Like x 1
    4. allmyEXes

allmyEXes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      No. Alabama USA
      '97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
      Callsign:
      KAGG 3611
      Mine has a hole all the way through both sockets..

Last edited: September 4, 2018