• Register Today It's free!

top speed for 4x4 high?

section8joe

Reaction score
City, State
youngstown ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
I looked throught my manual and I can't find anything that tells me safe speeds driven in 4x4 high. What is a safe speed for shifting into 4x4 high. I have an 2002 xls.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe in most cases it is like 50 but I'm not sure, besides if you need 4x4 on the road it shouldn't be an issue because you should be driving way slower for the conditions anyways

why exactly are you wanting to do this anyway?? wont accomplish much unless you're trying to do snow duty (ohio I see)???

I still wouldnt stress the drivetrain though at highway speeds like that though.

OT:

camaro guy, how you like that cavalier?? I been thinking of buying an ex fleet one for cheap as a commuter for work. I see you said the grand am was a POS...though the ones I've been in have had a nice stereo :p

the explorers 4x4 system say dont engage it higher than 45 mph and you can use it for any speed... however keep in mind, that if you are doing 70 on the freeway, there is no need for the 4x4 to be on....

Those components should not be spinning much faster than 50. I agree with the previous posts. If you're going faster, then why the heck are you in 4x4? Your gonna stick it in a ditch somewhere.

Back