• Register Today It's free!

4X4 High Light Flashes- no engage

Jason1000

Reaction score
City, State
Painted Post, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I have an '02 XLS. I just had the 4x4 module, alternator, and 4x4 clutch assembly replaced by the local FORD dealer for $1200, due to the auto 4x4 coming on at low speed and making hard to turn. I drove it home and now
the 4x4 high light flashes 10 times, goes off, and then repeats. The 4x4 does not engage. I disconnected the battery, then hooked it back up. The 4x4 engaged and operated properly. Drive it down the road a few miles and the light starts flashing again and will not engage. I'm taking it back to the dealer, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before the dealer takes another chunk out of my wallet. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any suggestions?

Obviously something isn't working right there, sounds like something simple. Maybe they forgot to hook up a wire or the switch itself.

Sounds like you got ripped by your Ford dealer. Usually, you should just need the GEM reflashed or speed sensors replaced if 4x4 is engaging when it shouldn't be..... and after all the work they did at that cost, they didn't fix the underlying problem.

Trust me I know I got ripped, I just don't know enough about the auto 4 wheel drive to argue too much with them. It's going back in tommorow. I already told them I refuse to pay anymore, seeing how originally it wouldn't :fire: go out of 4x4, now it won't go into 4x4. So it is something they did. At least the way I see it.

Back