• Register Today It's free!

Unibody offroad worth.

GreenEyez

Reaction score
City, State
East Rockaway, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
So I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on this earth. I still haven't changed my own oil that's for next week :p. These new x's will be unibody I know what the difference is but does that mean no more spacers or body lifts? Well I'd assume no more body lifts if It's a uni body. Does this mean no more lifts at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can still do suspension lift. Just no body lifts with a unibody. Take the Jeep Cherokees for example. There unibodys. It will be the same basic thing.

Maybe all hope isnt lost then. I really like that terrain management system If only it had a diesel :p

With it being a unibody and being all wheel independent and primarily FWD its setup is more like the Escape and Edge, you may be able to lift them a little suspension wise but is it really worth it to do so?..IMO...No...So I have my doubts that there will be any companies offering lifts for these vehicles unless someone custom fabs something up like it was done by members here for the 3rd and 4th gens.

The vehicle doesn't even come with a full-sized spare. Think about that for a second.

I didn't know it was primarily fwd haven't been paying that close attention and no full size spare yea I think Im switching to landrover or toyota next time :( It's sad. Expedition is just too big.

It's the first time I've ever liked the engines offered for the explorer since the 5.0. That 2.0 seems like it will be a really good engine esp with all that tq from the low revs. Too bad it looks like the crossover it is. I like the front the back looks good from one angle and bad at others haha.

In the blogs that I have read about it they are only 100 pounds lighter than the "framed" models. They gained a few inches in length and width but where is the great weight loss they were supposed to get by losing the frame? I don't get it.
I was at the dealership today and looked at an Edge with the v6 and it gets 18city and 24 hwy. Shouldn't the v6 explorer get close to that?

In the blogs that I have read about it they are only 100 pounds lighter than the "framed" models. They gained a few inches in length and width but where is the great weight loss they were supposed to get by losing the frame? I don't get it.
I was at the dealership today and looked at an Edge with the v6 and it gets 18city and 24 hwy. Shouldn't the v6 explorer get close to that?

You also have to consider that they consumers weren't feeling the truck like ride and body roll also which a uni-body deals with better.

You also have to consider that they consumers weren't feeling the truck like ride and body roll also which a uni-body deals with better.

The 4th has a great ride and minimal body roll so that's not really a problem.

Back