What could possibly be wrong with my explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What could possibly be wrong with my explorer!

Lisa Cobb

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
So I got my 2011 Ford Explorer limited less than a month ago. Have been to the shop 7 times in three weeks for a front end noise and are none the more closer to having my car fixed.

It make a loud grinding noise every time I turn (left and right) and also makes an obnoxious squeaking noise when going over and bump at low speed.

They’ve replaced wheel bearings and lower control arms. As well as examined the struts and giving them a solid go!

Any ideals? At this rate I’m just frustrated because you think you go to a dealership to find a quality car and honestly it’s got me feeling defeated.

Not only that but getting rides / shuttling to the dealership 14 times (between back and forth) has been such a hassle.

My loan came in at $21,500 today for a car that I can’t even drive right now. And to make matters worse I feel more like an inconvience to the dealership than a paying customer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I got my 2011 Ford Explorer limited less than a month ago. Have been to the shop 7 times in three weeks for a front end noise and are none the more closer to having my car fixed.

It make a loud grinding noise every time I turn (left and right) and also makes an obnoxious squeaking noise when going over and bump at low speed.

They’ve replaced wheel bearings and lower control arms. As well as examined the struts and giving them a solid go!

Any ideals? At this rate I’m just frustrated because you think you go to a dealership to find a quality car and honestly it’s got me feeling defeated.

Not only that but getting rides / shuttling to the dealership 14 times (between back and forth) has been such a hassle.

My loan came in at $21,500 today for a car that I can’t even drive right now. And to make matters worse I feel more like an inconvience to the dealership than a paying customer.

Ask for a Technician Ride-Along if you haven't already. It sounds like you describe something on paper, they perform work regardless of detecting/diagnosing said condition, and you are stuck paying with zero change to the vehicle. Don't pay to keep their techs busy! Dealers suck, in case you haven't been reminded enough lately. My local dealer took my car for 3 days without diagnosis or any schedule for completion. I picked it up and they told me a tech "listened to it", but "didn't diagnosis it" as exhaust leak. I didn't pay for a diagnosis and left immediately with vehicle. I would go higher up in the business service and customer satisfaction chain with your receipts, mention of your online presence if appropriate, and written explanation of the mess that YOU paid for. Ford also has a corporate customer satisfaction number, but i don't know it at the moment. Always CC the next higher up in the chain! The grinding noise I might go with the EPAS (power steering), but thats a wild guess. The squeaking when steering I might say is the steering column rubber piece where the column transitions the firewall (search this forum for other threads on it). Or, given that it squeaks on steering AND on mild bumbs, I'd look at a subframe assembly/bushing type problem OR the stabilizer links as I read a thread the other day mentioning squeaky stabilizer links, not sure if your model has the stabilizer bar though. Power steering, steering column rubber boot, subframe bushing/assembly, stabilizer links. Those are my not-so-educated guesses. My other car, not a ford, squeaks when steering and on bumps, and the subframe bushings are shot.

my mechanic told me it’s difficult to find noise related problems. But is it an option to go to a different shop or a mechanic to check?

I am having my explorer fixed for noise and vibration issue, one mechanic told me he is 99% sure it is the tires, which I do not agree. Then another mechanic told me it is cv axle after he did some testing and listened using his special tool.

My last 2008 fusion has clunk noise when hot, quite when cold, my mechanic think it is one of the bushing, but I traded it in after getting tired of oil leak issue so not sure if it is true.

Have they looked at the bearings and axles?
Mine was making a clunking sound when reversing quickly and they isolated it to the front axles and wheel bearings.
Both were replaced and the sound is gone.

The early ones had issues with steering, and there are multiple service bulletins on it.

Back