what kind of cd players do you guys have in your explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what kind of cd players do you guys have in your explorer?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
my stock cassette player stopped working (I had a 12 disc changer hooked up to it many years ago but all that stopped working)

thinking of going to local car audio shop and getting just a cheap cd player installed (with aux input so i got all music on my phone xD) but im worried cus the shop really pushes peoplet o get remote start for our cold winters and i have witnessed first had how remotes starters can start fires...and i really dont like them, but stupid girls think im a scrub in my apartment when they just walk by me and hit their button and walk away with their purses and boots but think im a scrub cus im indian without a remote starter (not worth getting for manual transmissions) but they dont see that they just got a 03 pontiac and i got my own garage unit with a 06 mustang gt thats in better condition than 2015 cars and a 95 explorer for the winter (parked in the parking lot)

but anyways, im just worried because this shop is very reputable, but they always push for remote starters and they are responsible for every jerk out here with HIDs in projector housing (GOD I HATE THEM SO MUCH!) - but a cd player in an explorer should be a simple and straight forward installation right? they couldn't really screw anything up could they?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put the CD player in yourself.. It's really not as hard as it seems.

I do car audio, so I outfit my vehicle with a nice system.. but for you, a single din cd player with bluetooth + a wiring harness + a dash kit = about $150. The wiring harness you make outside of the vehicle and it plugs right in. That's basically the only thing I can see a person screwing up.. Mounting it is super easy if you get the right dash kit.

VnZoNUul.jpg

Installing yourself is easy as long as you get a harness kit (which usually comes with the CD player). Here is a decent Kenwood player for $70, including installation accessories: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75679_Kenwood-KDC-158U.html

To splice wires, you can solder them or use butt connectors (both time consuming). I've used those orange wire nuts to good effect and it's super fast and easy. Whatever you do, don't just twist the wires together and slap electrical tape over it.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy. I'm scared to install it myself because I've heard many horror stories about electrical problems from hell from people who try to do it themselves but don't do it regularly. Like AC's stop working, wiper blades and lights going off by themselves, etc... I'm hoping if I get it done at a car audio shop it will be done seamlessly and be backed by warranty if anything happens.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy. I'm scared to install it myself because I've heard many horror stories about electrical problems from hell from people who try to do it themselves but don't do it regularly. Like AC's stop working, wiper blades and lights going off by themselves, etc... I'm hoping if I get it done at a car audio shop it will be done seamlessly and be backed by warranty if anything happens.

You'd have to be high as a kite and blind folded to cause wiper and AC problems from installing a radio.

It's very hard to screw up. The wiring harness you make is simple, color to color, and then it just plugs right in to the original harness. Don't even need to cut any wires in the truck.

I've done a few explorers, I can get a radio wired up properly (That is, neatly and solid connections) in about 20 minutes.

Consider ordering a head unit from http://www.crutchfield.com

A few good reasons:
  • Free lifetime tech support
  • Lots of informative videos and articles on their website
  • Free Mastersheets - vehicle-specific installation instructions

Read this for more info...
http://www.crutchfield.com/institutional/carAudioValue.aspx

In a recent catalog, they featured a mother and daughter team who installed their own equipment...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QyZVS2hMQyH/learn/mother-and-daughter-install-a-car-stereo-system.html

Do not think that you are not capable of installing it yourself. One of my high school buddies wanted me to install a basic stereo system in his El Camino. I told him, "No, but will do it if you help me, so you can see how easy it is." My buddie had zero knowledge or experience. We did the install, and he understood the basics, and did see that it is indeed not that difficult.

Alright I'll give it a go lol. Are explorers generally easier than most cars? I remember few years ago I installed a cd player in a honda civic with a friend (he is very skilled at these things) and it took us forever just to get all the dash and panels apart. But yes, as I recall and reading online, connecting the harness and etc doesn't seem complicated at all.

there is one piece of the explorer dash that has to be removed, the center bezel, it's 2 bolts down by the heater controls, , and the rest just pulls out,unhook the wiring from the switches,
afterwards you put the wiring back on than you just push the bezel back on, and put the 2 screws back in, ,
very easy

Back