What to do with rusting running boards? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do with rusting running boards?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have the nerf type running boards on my Ex and they are starting to rust (imagine that). I have been debating on getting some of that spray on bed liner stuff and giving them a nice black finish. Anyone done this? Does it look strange to have black running boards when the rest of the vehicle trim is gray?

Also how often should I expect to reapply it? I have painted the hitch area in the past and usually have to repaint it about every 4 months to keep it looking nice. While I am doing the running boards I might as well do the wheel wells too.

On a side note, anyone ever paint the black trim piece in the back under the hatch? Its all faded and would look nice painted.

Thanks for any comments.

black running boards will look fine with gray trim. Thats how mine were and it looked great.

send em to turtle for powder coating!!! lol.

I have the nerf type running boards on my Ex and they are starting to rust (imagine that). I have been debating on getting some of that spray on bed liner stuff and giving them a nice black finish. Anyone done this? Does it look strange to have black running boards when the rest of the vehicle trim is gray?

Also how often should I expect to reapply it? I have painted the hitch area in the past and usually have to repaint it about every 4 months to keep it looking nice. While I am doing the running boards I might as well do the wheel wells too.

On a side note, anyone ever paint the black trim piece in the back under the hatch? Its all faded and would look nice painted.

Thanks for any comments.

Not too pleasant to hear that since rusting can be problematic. No need to apply often if it's lookin fine. I've seen people doing it after every 8 months but I think that depends on the condition. Do post after you paint

Back