• Register Today It's free!

Rusting running boards

steveh

Reaction score
City, State
Strafford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
The running boards on my 95 Sport are rusting around the ends and the plastic pad on top. Previously I scraped all the rust off with a wire brush, filled, primed and repainted with flat black spraypaint. This worked well and looked good for a couple of months, but the rust is back again. Any ideas for how to correct this problem more permanently? The rust is only cosmetic, it isn't close to threatening the integrity of the running boards- it's just ugly.

Thanks for any advice!

You have to treat the rust first, before painting. Use something like navel jelly. No it’s not a sex lube it etches the metal to give a good surface for paint. You could also try a product like POR15. It is supposed to encapsulate the rust and prevent moisture from getting in. I just did the trunk and rear frame of my caddy with it.

i got a 98 with the same problem. I finally just said to the h*ll with it and took them off completely. I actually like the look better now. It makes it look a little higher off the ground. If yours are anything like mine, they are bolted on the outter body rail, not the frame. 9 bolts in each, took me about 10 min.

Back