For those that want/need to run 1/0 wire...(pics inside) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For those that want/need to run 1/0 wire...(pics inside)

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I only have experience with the 1st Gen X's....don't have a CLUE about the newer ones, so this info applies to 91-94 only.

I have found just about the PERFECT spot on the PASSENGER side to run your 1/0 wire through the firewall.

Remove the Kickpanel that hides the ECU/ECM module on the passenger side, and pull up on the black rubber insulation on the firewall.

You will see this:

Attachments

• Firewallhole-1.JPG
    Firewallhole-1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 395

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MAX size you can drill @ that location is 1-1/8". Which ALSO happens to be the size that is needed to drill when using the StreetWires Firewall Bushing
productIndex19190.jpg
(waterproof!).....anything BIGGER would have to be adjusted to the Left (towards Drivers side) and up.....but as you can see in the pic taken from the wheel well side, not much room to go much bigger....don't know why you would, but you could I guess.

Ryan

Attachments

• Firewallhole-2.JPG
    Firewallhole-2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Firewallhole-3.jpg
    Firewallhole-3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Firewallhole-4.jpg
    Firewallhole-4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 403

Damn that's clean. I always run my wires through the grommet behind the brake pedal. It's pretty nasty back there now.

Thx huskyfan23....

There are MANY advantages to running this wire on the Passenger side on a 1st gen.....first and foremost is the battery is on the same side! My 2nd battery is also on the Passenger Side. I had already planned on running my RCA interconnects on the Driver side.

I have a few wires in the grommet on the drivers side already, and since my X is a manual, I have 1 less hole to use.

The coolest thing about this hole I drilled, is the factory already had a 'dimple' there, like they drill a hole in the same spot for some reason...

Ryan

i ran my ground wires slightly under that...lots of open space there...two 1/0 gauge wires.

my power wires come out just above the brake pedal....no problems with either

Kinda like this ?

Attachments

• distro2.jpg
    distro2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 362

OK, I cluless

What in gods name do you need a wire that big for ??? (besides the starter)

Dwight P

A REALLY big sub with some MAJOR watts.

Here's more wiring pics.....including pics of one of the three ' big 3 ' upgrades to the electrical system.

Once it passes through the firewall into the engine compartment, it goes to the Isolator (200A, Stinger), then to the battery, THEN to the Alternator.

You can see the 'Before & After' pics of the battery terminals here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1342956#post1342956

Ryan

Attachments

• WiringUpgrade 003.jpg
    WiringUpgrade 003.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 349
  • WiringUpgrade 049.jpg
    WiringUpgrade 049.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 341
  • WiringUpgrade 053.jpg
    WiringUpgrade 053.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 347

Pdwight said:
OK, I cluless

What in gods name do you need a wire that big for ??? (besides the starter)

Dwight P

Or in my case amps ( plural )

next season ill be running 2 + 1/0 and 2 - 1/0 wires front to back....per sub amp to my aluminum block.

then i plan on having the same coming from my battery in the rear to the bar. and my dual 1/0 power and grounds to each amp.

no weak links there

Or a really big 120V inverter

whats the stinger isolater do?

The isolator does exaclty what it sounds like...it will charge 2 batteries, while it isolates the 2nd battery from the electrical system, so that the car/accessories only sees 12v, instead of 24v.

Ryan

Spdrcer34 said:
The isolator does exaclty what it sounds like...it will charge 2 batteries, while it isolates the 2nd battery from the electrical system, so that the car/accessories only sees 12v, instead of 24v.

Ryan

well not exactly...it isolates the draw from the 2nd battery. So its just from the accesory that you're running. Nothing to do with voltage.

Personally ive never used an isolator with my setups

Spdrcer34 said:

Ryan

not even close... It is simply a big relay. When the vehicle is on the isolator allows the power to flow from the alternator back to the second battery so that it can be charged. When the car is off the isolator makes a break in the power wire so that you stereo only draws from the second battery in the rear. If you wire 2 12v batteries in parallel you are still going to get only 12v.

sorry....that's the way it was explained to me.....now I know better....Thanks guys.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back