• Register Today It's free!

a nice place for your amp

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
well i got tired of the usual mounting the amp to the back seat and i wanted to keep all my cargo room so i came up with this idea :D
Picture064.jpg
hell why not mount it on the ceiling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought of that but I figured it would have cooling issues. I have my 5 channel kicker behind where my stock sub was and it has plenty of room.

got any pics boomin?

yeah, truckin magazine pimped out a van and they mounted the amps on the ceiling too, but they built a custom mounting rack i think.

did you cut your headliner? it's hard to see there.

i've done this in a few cars- i put a big sheet of 22 gauge or so sheet metal up there and then bolt the amp up through that. I'm curious how you did yours. In my audi thats the only part of the install you can see is my jbl amp.

Danggg you messed up your headliner!! Hope you dont have cooling problems, amp head sinks are made for the heat to rise, now the heat will stay in the amp

its a lot better heat wise than putting the amp inside a panel though- and its stealthy when its done in a car (potential theifs can't see it at all)

plus the 10 holes required in the headliner aren't that big of a deal- and if the system is halfway decent most any future buyer can use it

well as for the heat issue the amp runs cool i'm not pushing it at all, its at 4 ohms and the gain is 1/4 of the way up, i've been doin car audio and video for 10 yrs and Db drag off and on for 5 so i know a little about what i'm doin, as for the head liner well customizing is what it is and not everything is a bolt on accessory i don't look as it as i messed up my headliner at all the theifs that ripped out my sub box messed up my headliner long before i did this install i actually took a rip in my headliner the was an eye sore and made it look like a custom installed amp

You are right, heat is not an issue there. Keep up the original thinking. The judges will love you if you ever decide to have it judged visually. Something you can do also if you ever have the occasion to remove the headliner is under the liner build a thin frame the size of the opening and pull the material up and glue it down. It will give a "fit" look and stop the frayed edges from popping up. You could always re-cover the headliner also. Suede seems to be the hot choice since Pimp My Ride did it. I even did one in 2.5 inch agora for a guy. The judges love different and original.

yea i just wanted to do something a lil different plus i already had a rip in that spot int he headliner and its definately out of the way of everything, works great for me

Here's another good place for it.
2d860d9de1.jpg

i actually have my second battery in that spot,
Picture.jpg
it actually fits perfect i just need to fabricate a cover panel

my truck doesn't even have that spot anymore

i like the amp idea. its pretty sweet. as for your battery cover, just get a factory sub cover. thats what i put over my 10" stealth box that i made and it works just fine. i used velcro so that if i need to get in there its fast and easy.

did you pull the headliner to do this?

i didn't pull the whole headliner off just halfway.

In summer, that amp would get smokin hot in the sun.

Ok sorry photo link back up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back